More than 1 Eye Light Reflections?

Just was watching some mid-to-low budget TV series and noticed that under various lighting setups, in particular close-ups or tight over-shoulders, the actors/actresses' eyes are obviously showing 2 reflections(doesn't matter if one of them is sun and the other being an artificial lighting fixture or both of them being 2 artificial lighting fixture). I mean, 2 light sources can be seen on each eye.

Is there a hidden rule that says 'Good cinematography eye light' should only cast 1 reflection? What's the correct answer?

And my lack of knowledge brought me here...

My personal thoughts: 1 on each eye would be the most ideal solution, but 2 aren't really that big of a problem? (Maybe I am wrong about this...but if the show is a good one, this becomes a subtle distraction to the mass audiences anyways).

Please let me know any answers or thoughts, much appreciated!!

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Wenqi Wei said:

Is there a hidden rule that says 'Good cinematography eye light' should only cast 1 reflection? What's the correct answer?

I would say there‘s not THE correct answer. If you observe the number of eyelights in real life situations, you will see that they are dependent on the surrounding, no matter if indoors or outdoors. When I am sitting in a café, I can see the reflections of multiple windows, a candle and the ceiling lamp in my friend‘s eyes, depending on the position of the head. So multiple eyelights are a natural phenomenon. 
More important than the number is the shape of the reflections. If you are shooting a candle light dinner and the reflection has the rectangle shape of a  Kinoflo, that might look weird. Worst for my taste are ring-lights.

But honestly: If your audience starts thinking about the number or shape of eyelights in the actors faces you have a much bigger problem than your light setup…

it‘s your story…

10 hours ago, Sebastian Bock said:

I would say there‘s not THE correct answer. If you observe the number of eyelights in real life situations, you will see that they are dependent on the surrounding, no matter if indoors or outdoors. When I am sitting in a café, I can see the reflections of multiple windows, a candle and the ceiling lamp in my friend‘s eyes, depending on the position of the head. So multiple eyelights are a natural phenomenon. 
More important than the number is the shape of the reflections. If you are shooting a candle light dinner and the reflection has the rectangle shape of a  Kinoflo, that might look weird. Worst for my taste are ring-lights.

But honestly: If your audience starts thinking about the number or shape of eyelights in the actors faces you have a much bigger problem than your light setup…

it‘s your story…

Thank you for the answer, Sebastian, Got it.

42 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

There can be multiple reflections in the eye, just as in real life. If anything, the traditional center point eye light is what is unnatural.

Got it! Good to hear this. Thanks a lot.