Tiffen Skyfire and Twilight Filters

Hi all,

I am shooting a sci-fi project coming up, and the director wants the world to have a purple sky and sun, almost like a perpetual twilight.  I was reading about Greg Fraser's recent use of a filter that cuts blue and green light in the opening of Dune 2, during a solar eclipse, and I am very impressed by the resulting image.  I am wondering if there is a similar filter for this strong purple look that we are going for.  The closest I have found has been the tiffen twilight graduated filter, and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience using either that or twilight filters.  I haven't used many graduated or SFX filters before.  Do they feel gimmicky?  How much does it affect framing, since it is graduated?    A certain amount of surrealism is certainly acceptable.  I am definitely planning to do some tests but just wanted to get some outside opinions on other filters that may work the same way!

Here are some examples of the look we are going for.  

4MPYwyATOB3eY1N1npliz5ERRZ6tnUgmhOt-NO2DbZVgVlx1qMWkhI-q2CyoHFBRT3LYMOqdwKchVfgo_T5zIqT2GWiX5cUhvvNuaT0OG8QAPSU3SKBzGcbb3IQo7goiZGf0MgqUJcokGIiCtYb6SKk

image.png.983ce5942788bc31e288637d1913a073.png

image.png.899a73105e15ac65cac64e3bf7ed29f5.pngimage.png.fa87e5d0f3bcc6dcb4a1170aa02a6767.png

image.png.0a91f8db75c84a012d694c549b39e87a.png

Those are nice looks! If buying from BH...buy a bunch of options, test them out and return what does not work for you. I've only used graduated ND filters.

Can a colorist do what you want?

Gimmicky? You gotta try things. Can't say without seeing the results. If it is a paying gig, all you have to do is make the boss happy. 

Good luck!