Rebel without a crew lens

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I read "Rebel without a Crew" many years ago and I remember he shot that movie with an Arriflex 16s and an Angenieux zoom lens, but I cannot remember which one. At the time I remember he talked about which motor he used with the camera also, but again, can't remember if it was the constant speed or variable one.

Anyway, if anyone happens to have that book (no idea what happened to the copy I read), and wouldn't mind looking that up and posting it here, I would really appreciate it. I know it was in the front part of the book where he talks about borrowing the camera and calling a camera shop to figure out what he had.

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

Tim,

if memory serves, it was a 12-120 Angenieux. For the the super wide angle shots, he used a 5.7 Kinoptic lens.

Good memory...

In the Mon July 8 1991 Pre-pro entry, he describes drooling over the Arri:

"It's a 16mm, it's got a 5.7 Kinoptic wide-angle lens that is so wide it doesn't need focusing. Point and Shoot. That would really come in handy in action scenes and general running around handheld, because the wider lens the smoother the shots. It also has a good zoom lens on it (a 12-120 Angeniuex zoom lens)."

• Premium Member
Good memory...

In the Mon July 8 1991 Pre-pro entry, he describes drooling over the Arri:

"It's a 16mm, it's got a 5.7 Kinoptic wide-angle lens that is so wide it doesn't need focusing. Point and Shoot. That would really come in handy in action scenes and general running around handheld, because the wider lens the smoother the shots. It also has a good zoom lens on it (a 12-120 Angeniuex zoom lens)."

Thanks guys. Joe, do I recall correctly that he also talks about the motors, or was he talking about the motor for the 400 ft mag.? Like I said, memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Thanks again,

-Tim

Thanks guys. Joe, do I recall correctly that he also talks about the motors, or was he talking about the motor for the 400 ft mag.? Like I said, memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Thanks again,

-Tim

Both actually. In the July 23, 1991 entry he writes about how he called up a camera rental house in Texas that he consulted to find out how to use the Arri 16s. First the guy asks him (RR) if he has a torque motor, which he goes on to explain was the motor that drives the magazine and cost $800. Relieved that he had one, he asks the guy what were the two other "motor looking things" he had. One was a 8-64 variable speed motor and the other was a constant speed, non crystal-synch 24 sync motor.

Was that the section you were referring to?

• Premium Member

Yeah, Thanks Joe, that is the section I was talking about. I thought I remembered something about the motors.

The reason I was wondering is that I was working on an Arriflex 16S and the package happened to have both motors and that Angenieux lens and I got to thinking, isn't this the same set up he used. Went to find my copy of "Rebel..." and couldn't locate it.

Thanks again guys,

-Tim