Advice on spooling bulk film from a 135 core onto a Kodak core

After seeing Dune the other day, I'm inspired to try and replicate the infrared cinematography on film. Rollei sells 100ft bulk loads of infrared film, but from the shape of the box I suspect they are on a 135 core. I've run into this issue before. Arista 100ft rolls come on a film core, but Kentmere rolls come on a 135 core.

I've hand-rolled film from one to the other before, but it's tedious and the film came out scratched in development.

Does anyone have experience spooling 100ft of film from one core type to another? Should I try to make a 3D printed machine to do it? What's the best way to prevent scratches?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Geffen Avraham said:

After seeing Dune the other day, I'm inspired to try and replicate the infrared cinematography on film. Rollei sells 100ft bulk loads of infrared film, but from the shape of the box I suspect they are on a 135 core. I've run into this issue before. Arista 100ft rolls come on a film core, but Kentmere rolls come on a 135 core.

I've hand-rolled film from one to the other before, but it's tedious and the film came out scratched in development.

Does anyone have experience spooling 100ft of film from one core type to another? Should I try to make a 3D printed machine to do it? What's the best way to prevent scratches?

With spooling by hand you mean without using rewinder at all??

The 16mm rewinders usually have square axle which fits the photography bulk film cores. You may not be able to lock it in place but the spooling would work the same. The takeup core needs to have split reel flanges or manually correcting it every couple of meters

• Premium Member

To clarify, the square hole on bulk film cores is same size than the square hole on 16mm daylight spools.

To avoid scratches you need to control friction so that film layers don't slip and grind against each other on the takeup spool. Other than that it is just about avoiding static flashes and dust and getting the film spool straight on the core. If starting to spool conical you just correct it manually whenever needed

2 hours ago, Aapo Lettinen said:

To clarify, the square hole on bulk film cores is same size than the square hole on 16mm daylight spools.

To avoid scratches you need to control friction so that film layers don't slip and grind against each other on the takeup spool. Other than that it is just about avoiding static flashes and dust and getting the film spool straight on the core. If starting to spool conical you just correct it manually whenever needed

Thank you.

And yes, I did do it with only my fingers!

What are split reel flanges?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Geffen Avraham said:

What are split reel flanges?

it is for supporting the sides of the film roll when spooling so that the sides stay on level and no chance the layers falling over causing a mess. You will install the core between the two separable flanges which support the sides of the film roll. After spooling you open the assembly to take the core out with the film on it so that you can use it in camera