Bolex EL Batteries

Guest 'H'

Hi!

Does anybody know where to get Bolex EL batteries recelled.+

Is it possible to try to do it yourself.

Thanks for your guidance.

Horacio

Hi Horacio,

For re-celled EL batteries, check the main Bolex resellers (re-cellers!). I know Andrew Alden at bolex.co.uk sells them, but I'm sure others do too.

The battery packs are closed by four screws hidden under a bit of black filler at the corners of the pack, I believe. If you can find new cells of the right size, voltage, and amperage for a decent price, you're just a bit of soldering away from new battery packs.

Otherwise, you can use regular 12V. packs of the shape and amperage that suit you (but they won't mount on the door of the camera like the 1,25 A. pack does ; you'd have to wear them on you with a connecting cable). It's the cheapest option, by far, if you don't mind the dangling cable. The electrical connections are pictured in the EL manual (two +, two - , quite simple!).

-B

Boris:

Thanks for the imput; I've got lots of useful links for Bolex on the web site you recomended. (Bolex.UK)

I still have one good battery out of three for the "EL".

Did you ever found the technical manual for the Bolex EL?

Regards!

Horacio

• 2 weeks later...
Boris:

Thanks for the imput; I've got lots of useful links for Bolex on the web site you recomended. (Bolex.UK)

I still have one good battery out of three for the "EL".

Did you ever found the technical manual for the Bolex EL?

Regards!

Horacio

Hi Horatio,

No, I have not gotten the Service manuals for the EL. I'm begining to think that nobody has them, besides the authorized repair centers that are not allowed to put them out. I'm figuring it out n my own though, mostly by A/B comparisons between ELs with different problems. So if you need repair info, I may be able to help you.

Regarding the batteries, the best solution is hand-made ones : the hardest thing to find is the 4-pin Tuchel connector (same as the one for the MM magazine motor, in case that helps).

Cheers,

Boris

the hardest thing to find is the 4-pin Tuchel connector

Tuchel connectors made by Amphenol Tuchel division are sold under the Amphenol name and distributed by the larger USA parts companies such as Allied, Newark, Mouser and perhaps others. Mating connectors (that just look a bit different) are also made by Lumberg and sold by Newark.