Shooting Video Shorts

David Silverstein

Whats your opinion on shooting video shorts with no 24p. I am under the impression that its not going to look nearly as good as the shots I see from movies shot on the dvx100s 24p mode.

Can anyone clear this up if I am right or wrong?

I don't get what you're asking. If you don't shoot with 24p, you won't have 24p. 24p does not equal a good image. It's nice, but it's not some all-powerful camera setting that will make or break your movie. For three years I was using a 1ccd Canon zr60. It was good for me to learn how to get a decent image out of a camera like that. Now I would have used that camera a lot less, but the Xl1 from my school got stolen right when I would have started using it for my own stuff. I'd say just learn on what you have access to. If you don't have access to a dvx100, don't sweat over the lack of 24p.

• Premium Member

It's not so much "good" or "bad" -- it's just the issue of whether you want the video to have a "film-look" in its motion rendition. Regular 60i video has that classic interlaced-scan video look, whereas 24P has a pseudo film look. Since most music videos are shot on film, 24P would be a closer match to that look than 60i. But that doesn't mean you can't make 60i look good.

• Premium Member
What I wanted to know which I see I didnt phrase well was... Can you make a movie look like a movie without 24p.

Sort of depends on how you define what a "movie" looks like.

All you can say for sure is that 24P video resembles 24 fps film more than 60i does in terms of motion rendition.

Since 60i samples motion 60 times per second, usually with no temporal gaps (no shutter) compared to a film camera sampling motion only 24 times per second, usually with the shutter closed 50% of the time, 60i video looks smoother, sort of "hyper-real", which is why video can feel "raw" and live, an immediate, unprocessed reality -- whereas film tends to feel like it was shot in the recent past, slightly removed from reality. It has a stuttery, strobey quality.

If your goal is to make video look more like 24 fps film, then 24P helps -- you have a bigger hurdle to leap with 60i. But it all depends on how much you feel the motion rendition of 24P adds to the filmic quality.

Edited by David Mullen