Kinor 35H or 35C?

Guest kingofcomedy86

Guest kingofcomedy86

I have been looking into the Kinor 35H and noticed the earlier version the 35C. Unfortunately I cannot find much information on the 35C. What are the differences? It seems to me that everyone wants a 35H. Is there anything wrong with the 35C? Thanks!

Alex

Guest kingofcomedy86
Kinor-35C is early version. Kinor-35H is later one. Most people want newer gears. But some report that 35C was less noisy. I don't have my own experience, but I have one of Kinor-35H for sale ;-)

http://rafcamera.com/mc/kinor/9ksn.htm

Price is negotiable, of course.

Haha Thank you very much for the reply. I have seen your online store before and will probably go there once I raise the money for the camera. Thanks again!

Alex

Hi

Yes, Kinor-35S (5KSN) previous model of - Kinor-35 family cameras, the

Kinor-35N (m 9KSN )more late version.

S version have

more big size of body, have less noisey 28Db, have two crystall speed only 24 fps, 25 fps,

500 ft, 1000 ft filmmagazines. and other accessories.

N version have less size of body, less weight, but, 32 Db of noise, have 24 fps, 25 fps crystal sync speed and

variable speed from 8 fps up to 32 fps ( additional speed block control ) habe ew electropnic, have new stule mount of film magazine between body of camera and magazine, have new style power connector between body and film magazine.

The camera have 500 ft and 1000 ft film magazines and wide list of accessories.

This can be universla lens hood, universla lens hood for anamoprhic shooting, small set of universla lens hood, follow focus on body, follow focus on roods, start-stop handle, many accessories for external sync speed from Main power, from TV signal and more ets.

The camera have heater system inside body for shooting with low temperature.

Can have difference film gates and ground glases.

My opinon, Kinor-35N next generation of Kinor-35 family take from S version base ideasand base modules only.

The information about Kinor-35S you can see on my site :

http://www.geocities.com/kinor35/kinor-35/kin-35s.htm

• 3 months later...

>S version have

>more big size of body, have less noisey 28Db, have two crystall speed only 24 fps, 25 fps,

>500 ft, 1000 ft filmmagazines. and other accessories.

This is not entirely true. In fact, the 35C / 35S (the S stands for "Studio" Camera) has, besides 24/25 crystal sync, variable speed 8-36 fps & external sync unit BUILT IN, a better video assist port, as well as a sort of "Arriglow" illuminated framelines (1:1.37 and 1:2.35 anamorphic only), and some even have built-in light meter (that you would of course never really use). It has exactly the same amount of accessories as the Kinor 35H (some of which, like the small follow focus unit, are not compatible with the 35H). The movements (with the exception of very early models of 35C made in 1984 and early 1985) are identical, as are the ground glasses and gates.

The 35H is a "light" version of the 35C. AFAIK, the H = N stands for "Natura" or "Naturnaya" meaning "Location". So the 35C is a studio camera that thus needs to be quieter but can be heavier with more functions built-in as it's mainly for studio use. The 35H is the camera you drag out to location, and so lacks some of the built-in functions of the 35C, but have many of them as separate plug-in modules, and can afford to be a bit noisier.

Of course, at the time when these cameras were produced, Soviet films were mostly post-synced, and so camera noise was not so much of a problem, and so the Kinor 35H became the camera of choice (and a well tuned 35H can be as quiet as a 35C...).

They are both good cameras, and share the same three weak points that one should be aware of: 1) the original electronics (can be upgraded), 2) some parts of the viewfinder system is often darkened due to storing the camera in averse condition (the prisms in question can be resilvered), and 3) The rear motor bearing, that needs oiling every now and then in order not to seize up (with regular servicing and oiling this ceases to be a problem). Just bear in mind that some accessories (150m mags, viewfinders, follow focus units) are not interchangeable between the two models. Most 300m mags fit both models, in fact the first Kinor 35H's did not come with any 300m mags, as it was supposed to be a light weight location camera...

/Anders

(That also provides electronics upgrades and prism resilvering for these cameras...)