• Premium Member
I have a target to apply there.

What do you think about it?

Could I have enough knowledge to shot good films and get money from it after graduating from USC (Film Production Faculty)?

Sure (and maybe you can work on your English writing skills while you're there, no offence -- it's not like I can write in Ukranian...)

As long as you understand that it's a high-risk profession no matter what, so there's no guarantee of success.

Edited by David Mullen

Sure (and maybe you can work on your English writing skills while you're there, no offence -- it's not like I can write in Ukranian...)

I`ll try to :)

As long as you understand that it's a high-risk profession no matter what, so there's no guarantee of success.

I think it is not so risky than in Ukraine. (truly, we don`t have "the situation" at all. Our cinema is totally dead).

That`s why I want to "break through"...

I think a guy from Ukraine can achieve success in Hollywood, because "Ukraine" is a popular word nowadays. For example, It was mentioned twice in "War of the Worlds".

Edited by Prim

I think anybody can be successful if he/she has a talent and is lucky enough. It doesn't matter where you are from. I don't tihnk most of people would hire you just because you are Ukranian in Hollywood or elsewhere. If you have a skill and knowledge, people would hire you and you could be successful. Especially in the US, foreigners are just everywhere. I don't know if your nationalilty would give you any advantages. It's all up to you. Not your nationality.

Best of luck,

Ry K

"I think a guy from Ukraine can achieve success in Hollywood, because "Ukraine" is a popular word nowadays. For example, It was mentioned twice in "War of the Worlds"."

Yeah! Good point that is certainly the best argument I've heard in favour of why one would be successful in Hollywood, geez how can you top that?

FYI, reality check unless you come from a VERY wealthy family USC will be out of the question for you. Have you looked at the USC web site and checked their tuition?

It's $15, 729.00 per semester!!! USC is where America's elite send their kids, it's not for the poor or middle class. As a foreign student you will not be eligable for any student aid money in the USA. Frankly I think the tution is a joke I would never pay it in a million years. $15, 729.00 per semester for a film degree? What a joke, you can finance med school cheaper than that.

People will say I'm trying to discourage you, but come on, there is a need to face reality. The cost is a real issue that can't be wished away no matter how hard you try.

There are plenty of other film schools that offer better value for the money.

R,

As a foreign student you will not be eligable for any student aid money in the USA.

I don't know about USC, but this is not true in every school in the US. Foreign students get financial aid money as well as american students do. But he is not totally wrong. It is true that foreign students sometimes have to pay a lot more tuition than other american student and there are less financial aid available for foreign student. Mr. Boddington gave you a realistic number. That's how much you have to pay. Also, you must finance films you make in the school unless you get grants. It is huge amount of money that you need to graduate USC. But, look around. There are a lot of schools that might offer you good financial aid. It might not be a famous school like NYU or USC where people still want to go regardless how much the tuition they pay.

I'm in relatively infamous school in the US, but hey, they guaranteed tuition waiver and some stipend. I was also accepted by more famous schools but I chose infamous one because of the financial aid. Yes, indeed. I'm a foregin student myself too. So I suggest you to consider and apply different schools as well as USC.

Ry K

Oh and I almost forgot that tuition figure does not include some minor things like...food, rent, clothes, etc etc. That will add another chunk to your costs, remember living in LA is not cheap. Your per semester costs will easily top $20,000.00 USD when food and rent are added in.

Then there's books and film stock, it never ends.

The biggest thing USC can boast is that it is where top Hollywood people send their kids, and hence the price.

R,

• Premium Member
P.S. I have a chance to get money from Ukrainian government.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. You need $120,000.00 to go to USC for four years -- just for tuition. Add in another $80,000.00 to cover your living expenses. All things considered, you will spend nearly a 1/4 million dollars on college with no guarantee of work. In fact, you will be competing for opportunities against graduates whose family are "in the industry" which makes it very difficult to move forward, particularly as a director. You will not be eligible for low-interest student loans as an international student. Additionally, many US colleges require pre-payment in full for international students, in addition to a cash reserve in case you get yourself in trouble and need deported! Think about it. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it.

Honestly, I think you'd have better luck moving somewhere else in Europe. The film industry is alive and well in Romania. I'd be looking for an entry level job at one of the rental houses to get your foot in the door. Then, work your way up.

Guest filmgirl

The area is less than great, the tuition is unbelievable. Nothing in this industry is guaranteed. But if you think it's a good place for you, go for it.

Edited by filmgirl