Fastax camera question

dd3stp233

Hello, I have a Wollensak 35mm Fastax camera that shoots 2 perf. but I don't know how many frames per second this camera shoots or the shutter angle(it has a rotating prism). If anybody knows this information or how I could figure out the proper exposure without having to shoot 100's of feet of test film. This is one the older moldels with only one speed. Also, does a rotary prism alter the flange to film plane distance. Thank you if advance if anyone can give me any info.

I have a fastax 16mm. Have not yet shot with it. I have got some good advice from Martin Hill though. He has shot with the Fastax 16mm. I am sure he can give some general info about the 35mm.

http://martinhill.com Call him during busness hours. He is a great resource for info and equipment, and very generous with his time.

If it doesn't have a speed setting marked, it may be unregulated. If so, all you can control is the speed at which the film accelerates, by feeding it a set voltage, then arranging for your event to occur when the film is moving at the correct rate. I used these in 16mm on a weapons range and they're intended for recording a short-lived event, not continuous action. They're calibrated by calculating the framing rate from timing lights on the edge of the film, then plotting the speed against time to get an acceleration graph for a given voltage. You can then pick a point at which the speed is correct and arrange to synchronise your event. Film rolls will run for a matter of seconds.

The prism doesn't affect the flange focal depth. The equivalent of shutter angle is the shutter constant, which should be marked somewhere on the prism, as a fraction or ratio. So a constant of 1/3, or 0.33, equates to 0.33x360 or 120 deg.

You probably are in for some experimentation. The power supply would probably control the timing lights as well, so you'll need one.