shhooting on high speed with 90 degree shutter angle

ahsan

hello everyone,

Im shooting a music video on Arri 3 , there is one sequence of splashing of water, im want to shoot this sequence in highspeed please suggest me, if im shoooting this on 50fpsthen what shutter angle i choose , what about 90 degree?

ahsan

• Premium Member

The more you close down the shutter, the crisper the water will become. If you really want to see the effect better, I might try a 45 degree shutter. Of course, that's a two-stop loss on top of the one-stop loss of shooting at 50 fps, so you'll have to make-up for the three-stop loss by raising the light levels.

I know the effect you are looking for - it needs a 435 at 150fps or a Arri 3 at 120fps (no change to shutter unless you want razor sharp bubbles etc)

cranking the shutter closed only helps if you are going to slow mo lower fps - if that makes sense

might be cheaper to get stock footage of it

thanks

Rolfe

Hi

Couple days a go I shot similar situation (boots splashing water) with arri III and it worked out fine. We shot on Fuji Reala ( it is irrelevant but just saying), arri tilt shift system 110mm; scene was lit by bunch of kinoflo`s and couple 5 K tungsten fennels ( on problem with flicker :). so we run camera at 100 fps and shutter at 45 degree and as I sad earlier it looked nice; smooth movement of water drop and nice reflexes on dose drops ( low key situation). Only down side was that we needed lot of light; 4 stops for ?camera? and because of tilting and shifting we needed to achieve minimal DoF so we shot it at f4?

I don?t know if it?s too late for advice but am suggesting to close shutter on 45 degree you will lose one stop ( tree in total) but it going to look fine?

Luke