Empire Strikes Back

Stating resolving power in lp/mm means nothing without supplying the object contrast (TOC) for that resolution.

Presumably the high figures - 200 - flying around these threads are for a TOC of 1000:1.

That's nice but how a lens - film stock - etc performs at lower contrasts, or to put it another way how it creates contrast at medium spatial frequencies can say as much or more in terms of how it performs as to percieved sharpness.

Lens A might test better than lens B but you might prefer lens B

-Sam

Guest David Lawrence

Peter Suschitzky is most definitely one of my favorite dp's and of his movies my current fave is Naked Lunch. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102511/ I just love watching and re-watching that movie, and can freeze frame at (really!) any point in the entire 115m and just spend ages noting the detail of the image, the lighting, the aspect, the view, the feel..

I also love his Dead Ringers, Crash, Mars Attacks and Spider

What's your fave Peter Suschitzky?

David Lawrence [NZ]

Hi,

By the name, I suspect that they're made by Isco Optic, who make a lot of projection lenses. Given that an anamorphic variable prime projection lens is well sub-grand even here, I suspect they're cheap and crappy.

As for putting big lenses on steadicam - well, we have rather different ideas about what's abusive to a steadicam operator here!

Phil

Well, there even been IMAX cams on Steadicams...