White Room

Guest Dolly

Does anyone have any experience lighting an all white room? I will be shooting an all white room, white walls, white floor, white ceiling, white furniture, and white art work on the walls. Any Ideas? I'm shooting this on a Sony DNW 90ws.

Thanks for you ideas!

Sounds like my personal hell!

What kind of scene is it? That will greatly effect the lighting approach...

White rooms are a nightmare to light if you want even a little bit of contrast. I usually go for top light or a high cross key and do whatever I can to keep the light off the walls. Unless you're shooting an Overstock.com commercial, plan on carrying a LOT of flags and loose duvetyn.

Edited by Matt Irwin

[Thanks for the advice; -- it's part of an arts piece, that we are dropping into a larger doc.

name=Matt Irwin' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:16 AM' post='79378]

Sounds like my personal hell!

What kind of scene is it? That will greatly effect the lighting approach...

White rooms are a nightmare to light if you want even a little bit of contrast. I usually go for top light or a high cross key and do whatever I can to keep the light off the walls. Unless you're shooting an Overstock.com commercial, plan on carrying a LOT of flags and loose duvetyn.

Does anyone have any experience lighting an all white room? I will be shooting an all white room, white walls, white floor, white ceiling, white furniture, and white art work on the walls. Any Ideas? I'm shooting this on a Sony DNW 90ws.

Thanks for you ideas!

I just light the space that the subjects occupy, use long lenses if possible, and let the walls fall off into a muted gray, defocused zone. Flags and barndoors. Looks good to me. But if it's important to show off the walls and couches, or the blocking dictates wider lenses, bounce from the ceiling...?