shooting television

Jody Lipes

what equipment is needed to shoot a television without the pesky electron bar running across the face of the TV in frame?

are there special exposure requirements? spot meter the tv and let it go a stop over or something like that?

i shot a short were there was a computer monitor and found the safe way is to go with a LCD screen, i am told new flat screen tvs work the same and are vary safe. i found that takeing a spot meter reading was kind of well over exposed so i gave 2 1/2 stops diff and seamed to work well with the rest of the scene, at 2.8 in the process of finding what would work i found that shooting 30fps killed most of the problems with the standard computer monitor vers 24fps most of the problems i was haveing was not a bar but a filcker so i dont know but after the flicker was just a small ocallation just vary unnoticable with out staring at it for a wile

i would do a camera test on the tv monitor you plan to use before shooting at 30 fps and see if that works. i also was told changeing the shutter pitch or something will get a better responce but never tryed it

i should say that i was afraid in my test that something was done in the telecine to fix it

and the 30 fps was unnessary but never got a answer from the lab

hope that helps jody

thanks, i didn't know there were archives. i found something very helpful, and i'll post it for anyone who cares.

Date: Monday, September 08, 2003 02:00 PM

Topic: filming a television Message: 6 of 7

Read 48 times

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically you first set your shutter angle to 144 degrees. This has the effect of making your wide roll bars into thin rolling lines, which maybe enough for a wide shot of the TV.

Then you need a film-video sync box. This will allow you to run your camera at 23.976 fps instead of 24 fps (you'll need to tell your sound person to record at 29.97 fps instead of 30 fps). Running at 23.976 fps (since an NTSC TV set runs at 59.94 fields per second) will stop the roll bars (now thin) from rolling. The phase control on the sync box allows you to adjust where the lines stop on screen. Your choices are either two lines, one near the top and one near the bottom -- or a single line, in the middle of the screen.

You can't completely remove the scan line unless you: (A) bring in a special 23.976 fps TV set and playback equipment from a company that specializes in 24 fps playback, plus get your NTSC tape converted by the same company; or (B) shoot at 29.97 fps, which negates the ability to run dialogue during the shot, and when the shot is played back at 24 fps, it will look slightly slow-motion.

Another option for shooting TV is to "cheat" a little, and run the TV at the film's frame-rate. The Amiga is well known for having this capability, to change frame-rates down to the point it will synch with the film camera. you're dealing with low-color computers tho (256-colors for the last gen Amiga, 64-colors for the earlier models) unless you're willing to shoot it one frame at a time (HAM modes allow for more video signal than a standard TV screen can produce). So the trick here is to get an Amiga w/ Amiga monitor and then lock it to your film camera's synch.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Later Amigas had proper graphics board options which allowed 24bit displays without sacrificing the flexibility of scan rates. The only problem now is finding a modern-looking tube which will scan slow enough, although any current XGA monitor (which could be redressed to resemble a modern TV convincingly) should be able to scan a multiple such as 96Hz. I own an Amiga 4000 which is suitably equipped and available for rental...

Phil

Hi,

Later Amigas had proper graphics board options which allowed 24bit displays without sacrificing the flexibility of scan rates. The only problem now is finding a modern-looking tube which will scan slow enough, although any current XGA monitor (which could be redressed to resemble a modern TV convincingly) should be able to scan a multiple such as 96Hz. I own an Amiga 4000 which is suitably equipped and available for rental...

Phil

Yes, but the later Amiga's lost the very ability I mentioned, namely the ability to change refresh speeds so as to allow a synching up with another system, such as film. I'd note, modern Amigas (such as the brand-name holding AmigaONE or the 3rd party clones Pegasos and DraCo) use off the shelf PCI and AGP video cards nowadays.

@Phil

Which models? I own a Pegasos II, the latest model produced, and it does not have the ability to change refresh modes to the point of being able to synch with a TV signal. The loss of the custom chipset has killed this ability with the current crop of Amiga-compatible computers.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have an A4000, not even a very late one, with a Picasso2 board in it. This gives you the ability to run TV rates on a VGA style monitor - if you can find a VGA monitor, particularly a modern one with a decent tube - which will run that slow. The only displays I have which will do it are the original Amiga 1940-series monitors, and a particularly lenient Sony video monitor which will correctly scan the RGB output off the graphics board.

Phil