750 Advice Needed!

Guest loosecannon

Guest loosecannon

Hi there

Just a quick question, I am using the sony750 later in the week to shoot a new rollercoaster at a local theme park. Its for a TVC and they want it shot progressive. My question is, as I have little experiance with progresive, how much shutter can be used in combination with progressive without it looking horrible. I mean I would normally use 1/250th or maybe more when shooting this job as it is meant to be fast paced, very quick edits, action packed. What I dont want is terrible jaggered staggered images that are no good. If anyone is an experianced 750 user please feel free to email me or leave your advice here. Any other tips would be great. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Leigh Hubner

Australia

Hi there

Just a quick question, I am using the sony750 later in the week to shoot a new rollercoaster at a local theme park. Its for a TVC and they want it shot progressive. My question is, as I have little experiance with progresive, how much shutter can be used in combination with progressive without it looking horrible. I mean I would normally use 1/250th or maybe more when shooting this job as it is meant to be fast paced, very quick edits, action packed. What I dont want is terrible jaggered staggered images that are no good. If anyone is an experianced 750 user please feel free to email me or leave your advice here. Any other tips would be great. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Leigh Hubner

Australia

You should always shoot with the shutter on with progressive, otherwise you get motion smearing. The normal setting would be 1/50 for 25p, which I assume you'll be using in Australia. You can switch the shutter off if you need the extra exposure, but be careful with the motion blur.

I've shot at 1/250 using 25p, it's quite jerky how well it works would depend on the action. It's not too far from the "Saving Private Ryan" effect. You can see the effect in the viewfinder, so you shouldn't get any surprises.