Super 8 Film Stock - Quick Question

Thomas Barnwell

It depends of how much light you have, but Vision 200T will be fine. If you telecine the neagtive, you will find your look in post. I love the tri-X and Plus-X B&W reversal stock but it depends of you are looking for.

good luck

Yeah, I've done some Vision 200 16mm before and liked it alot. That was my first instict. I will be having all the film telecined and color corrected, so 200T is what I will probably use. How do you think 500t would work? I won't be setting up any lighting myself.. the club lights are the only thing that will be lighting the band. I'll probably do a test roll and see how the 200t comes out.

-Thomas

Shooting the 500 Vision2 will be less risky in a low light environment. Keep in mind that if you shoot Vision 200 and decide to push the film, it will cost considerably more.

Other considerations include the type of camera you are shooting with. Is it an "XL" camera? Will you be shooting 18 or 24fps? Depending on your answer, you may need 500ASA more than ever.

In my opinion, unless I really knew that the lighting was solid, I would play it safe and shoot the 500ASA neg. I have seen too many "live" projects suffer from underexposure to consider otherwise.

If you have a lot of questions you may want to contact Spectra for some professional, free advice. I understand they handle quite a bit of concert work for big bands. They can also provide neg processing and telecine deals at good rates.

• Premium Member

...I suggest going to the venue before the night of your shoot and take some light meter readings. I was going to shoot a performance on 500T a while back, but shot stills instead because of insufficient light for motion picture photography. 500wt Fresnel stage lights twenty feet above the stage just don't offer enough light for a good exposure.

Actually, I have some stills on line from that night:

Derik_f1.8_15.jpg

F 1.8 at 1/15th EI 400 Neopan 400 ("correct" exposure)

derik_f1.8_60.jpg

F 1.8 at 1/60th (a couple stops under)

I decided I would get mud if I shot Vision 500 wide open with my Nikon R 10 which has a shutter speed of about 1/55th.

I suppose I could have shot it and then cranked up contrast at transfer, but I decided not to do that since that.

Have you seen: "The White Stripes Under BlackPool Lights" From Dick Carruthers and Third Man Films. It's a Super 8 color negative thing....

Steve

...I suggest going to the venue before the night of your shoot and take some light meter readings. I was going to shoot a performance on 500T a while back, but shot stills instead because of insufficient light for motion picture photography. 500wt Fresnel stage lights twenty feet above the stage just don't offer enough light for a good exposure.

Actually, I have some stills on line from that night:

Derik_f1.8_15.jpg

F 1.8 at 1/15th EI 400 Neopan 400 ("correct" exposure)

derik_f1.8_60.jpg

F 1.8 at 1/60th (a couple stops under)

I decided I would get mud if I shot Vision 500 wide open with my Nikon R 10 which has a shutter speed of about 1/55th.

I suppose I could have shot it and then cranked up contrast at transfer, but I decided not to do that since that.

Have you seen: "The White Stripes Under BlackPool Lights" From Dick Carruthers and Third Man Films. It's a Super 8 color negative thing....

Steve

I haven't seen The Whites Stripes film, but I'll check it out. I won't be shooting if lighting isn't sufficient.. I think I'm going to end up just burning through a couple roles of 500 and 200 and test how they work in natural lighting. Thanks for all the help! Any idea what film is used on The White Stripes film?

-Thomas

Hello Thomas,

There is a really great article on the Kodak website that talks about shooting the White Stripes concert

and what film they used. You will find it a good read.

It's here at: www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/s8mm/bAdams.jhtml

Mike