Difference between 1014 and 1014xls?

Guest rookie

Guest rookie
Do you know if it's quieter than the Canon 1014 Electronic? If not, why is the XLS so much more money?

I may be purchasing a 1014. I am a real rookie at this. Should i wait for a xls or should the 1014 be ok for a starter? I will be filming indoors low light situations and no lighting allowed.

Please advise. Thank you.

the rookie

Hello R,

I can't remember all the differences between the two (other can fill in the gaps), but the major differnece

is the XLS is a sound camera so it does not make as much noise. Also the XLS has a variable shutter (you can switch it between 150 and 220 for low light. This is a very good feature).

There's more, but that will get you started.

Mike

1014 XLS will be quieter, will shoot 9 fps, has an intervalometer and will be slightly faster in low light when set to 220 degree shutter. If these features are important, it may be the choice but will probably cost at least twice as much..

Generally all Canon's that start with "10" (10X zoom) are much bigger and heavier than other models. Consider the 814XLS or 814 Autozoom E. More or less the same features at about a third the size and weight.

Rick

Guest rookie
Hello R,

I can't remember all the differences between the two (other can fill in the gaps), but the major differnece

is the XLS is a sound camera so it does not make as much noise. Also the XLS has a variable shutter (you can switch it between 150 and 220 for low light. This is a very good feature).

There's more, but that will get you started.

Mike

Mike:

Thank you very much! Quiet is very important. It is really worth asking questions.

Rookie

1014 XLS will be quieter, will shoot 9 fps, has an intervalometer and will be slightly faster in low light when set to 220 degree shutter. If these features are important, it may be the choice but will probably cost at least twice as much..

Generally all Canon's that start with "10" (10X zoom) are much bigger and heavier than other models. Consider the 814XLS or 814 Autozoom E. More or less the same features at about a third the size and weight.

Rick

Guest rookie

Rick

Thank you for all your advise!! I am glad to know about that shutter and intervalometer.

There were some manuals here:

http://filmshooting.com/manuals/canon.php

...but they don't seem to be downloadable anymore. The 1014 is supposed to have a higher maximum frame rate setting (72fps) that the 1014 XLS when using the "slow motion" feature, making it desirable for that alone. I own an 814 Autozoom E and couldn't be happier. They are built like tanks and the image is very steady (unlike my old Sanyo). However, the lens thread on these cameras is 62mm or 72mm...I forget which...so if you're going to want an anamorphic adapter, you're doomed to looking for the large expensive kind. I love my Canon but I covet smaller cameras which can be outfitted with smaller, less expensive anamorphic adapters.

The 1014 is supposed to have a higher maximum frame rate setting (72fps) that the 1014 XLS when using the "slow motion" feature, making it desirable for that alone.

I am pretty sure it is not 72 fps. I believe it is the same as the 814 AZ E which, according to the manual, is "about 40 fps". I would expect 1014 AZ E to be the same, or at best 54fps but will stand corrected if someone knows for sure. I would love to hear that it actually goes to 72 fps. That alone would be a reason to add one to the arsenal. (I have always found it odd that they would say "about" 40 fps since I would expect a little more certainty on their part.)

Rick

• 1 month later...

hey guys this is my first post. i bought a 1014 xl last week just waiting for it to be serviced and get it back in about 2 weeks.

important to note is that you cant get xls film any more (unless im wrong) so the audio recording stuff is more or less useless.

the variable shutter is cool on the xls. i have no idea what an intervalometer is but....

XL stands for existing light (220 shutter) , S is for sound. No, they haven't made sound film for a while. But if it's serviced, should hold sync pretty well for seperate sound recording. intervolometer means you can shoot timelapses at intervals of 1 frame per second, and up to 1 frame per minute.

If your filming for the whole 2:30 duration, you'll start noticing drift after about a minute... small enough to stretch your audio to fit, and not notice any consequences. If you have some natural background noise, you shouldn't hear the camera in your scene.. for a quiet room filming/recording, you'll need to silence the camera with a barney or egg crate foam.

If your filming for the whole 2:30 duration, you'll start noticing drift after about a minute... small enough to stretch your audio to fit, and not notice any consequences. If you have some natural background noise, you shouldn't hear the camera in your scene.. for a quiet room filming/recording, you'll need to silence the camera with a barney or egg crate foam.

what im planning involves a lot of very quiet shots. ei late at night in bed sort of thing. none of the shots should go longer than even thirty seconds but i reckon.

is a barney that thick bag that goes over the camera. if it is ive only seen on a 16 mm aaton. whats this egg crate foam.

It can be done, but pushing it. keep a good distance from camera and mic. control the direction of the mic opposite the camera, monidirectional. would be good to do some recording tests while dry running the camera. you can find egg crate material at most retail stores... it's spongy stuff, like a big flat sponge with the surface shaped like the inside of an egg carton.

It can be done, but pushing it. keep a good distance from camera and mic. control the direction of the mic opposite the camera, monidirectional. would be good to do some recording tests while dry running the camera. you can find egg crate material at most retail stores... it's spongy stuff, like a big flat sponge with the surface shaped like the inside of an egg carton.

oh yeh i know the stuff now. my school had it on walls for sound proofing.

thanks skratch