Color Reversal Look for Tape to Film

Matt Serrins

Hi,

I shot a short documentary (about 10 min) on mini-DV (24p), and I'm looking to go back to 16mm, which I realize is pretty expensive. I want to get a color reversal look (high contrast and deep saturated reds, yellows, and oranges). A lot of this has been accomplished with set design (the location where I shot has a 70s color scheme), but I'm wondering how to achieve this on the film print. I'm hesitant to do it in post with a plug-in like CineEffects, but maybe that's the best way to go? How would this be accomplished if I'm going Tape to film...transfer to neg and print on a high contrast stock...transfer to reversal and print on an ektachrome reversal print film (before they're discontinued). Is there a specific lab that specializes in this? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Matt

• Premium Member

Why do you want to go back to 16mm? You might as well transfer it to 35mm, since that is a lot more common a projection format.

You can color-correct digitally for that look (contrasty and saturated), transfer to a 35mm IN with a laser recorder, and print onto Vision Premier.

Or you can color-correct for a normal look, transfer using a CRT recorder to 35mm color reversal stock, have it cross-processed into a negative, and then printed.

The first way is more controllable. Cross-processing the reversal tends to add some funky color problems, like grays that pick up a greenish or blue-ish tone.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about going back to 16mm because of cost issues, but maybe I should just go to 35mm. I'll probably just take your advice and deal with the look digitally. Can you recommend any labs on the East Coast for this? Thanks again so much for your advice.

Matt

• 3 months later...