Any word on the next-gen F900

Robert Sanders

I've heard that the current F900 has been discontinued by Sony. Has anyone heard of what it's replacement may be? It would seem to me that Sony would still need a 4:2:2 HDCAM camera with internal recording in its pro lineup.

Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine?

• Premium Member
I've heard that the current F900 has been discontinued by Sony. Has anyone heard of what it's replacement may be? It would seem to me that Sony would still need a 4:2:2 HDCAM camera with internal recording in its pro lineup.

Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine?

There will be a lead-free (to comply with EU laws) replacement announced at NAB. It will probably only have a few improvements, like a built-in HD-SDI out and perhaps a built-in downconverter.

• 5 weeks later...

>There will be a lead-free (to comply with EU laws) replacement announced at NAB. It will probably only have a few improvements, like a built-in HD-SDI out and perhaps a built-in downconverter.

Another huge improvement will be menus displayed on the HD-SDI output. Right now menus are only displayed on the analog YUV output. Of course if you are not careful the HD-SDI feed could be recorded with menus up. Not a good thing. The really big update is the leadfree solder in the new unit. I also hear from my sources a HDCAM-SR camcorder will possibly be shown at NAB.

Glad to see so many CML posters here.

• 1 year later...

i just finished a 5 days test with the f900r.

the second hdsdi output comes only with a new board.

it got 93 pages of menu, some more than the 750

and the menu structure reminds me of the 750.

most important features: (de)saturation, hypergamma and user gamma.

it seems to be less noisy

so far