Using headphones to monitor audio nightmare

stevewitt

I tried to use my otherwise decent headphones to monitor sound from my GS400 video camera and this overwhelming buzzing interference has made this impossible. This is the first time I have ever tried it. I'm not sure if there is something I'm not doing or something I'm doing entirely wrong but I thought I could just plug into the audio out jack and listen to what is being recorded. The actual recorded audio does seem to be just fine. Can anyone help. Thanks.

On this camera, the Audio Out doubles as a headphone jack, which is a bit odd. Is there a switch or a menu setting to toggle them? There is sometimes a difference in Heaphone level (adjustable) vs. Line level, but not usually enough to cause what you describe. Have you tried plugging the headphones only part-way in? Have you tried running the output into a mixer and then plugging the cans into that? Have you noticed a sound difference running off battery power compared to AC?

Thanks for the reply Gordon. It turns out that the jack is an (A/V in/out) and it was a matter of making changes in the sub-menu to (out/phones). So you were correct. Someone on another board pointed this out too. Thankyou.