Black and White

Guest ____

Guest Chainsaw

Other than the standard Kodak negative and reversal B&W stocks what other practical B&W 35mm MP stock options remain in the modern world?

Lamentably Ilford has ceased production of their excellent MP line, even though their stocks were just their lines of still photography stock perfed BH-1866 for 35mm MP use. Supposedly they do custom orders though...

So, what other manufacturers are still in the B&W 35mm MP market? I am interested in ALL options, be they scientific, medical, reversal, print, IR, archaic, foreign, domestic or custom orders. Any replies with contact info and links to the respective manufacturers will be greatly appreciated.

Other than the standard Kodak negative and reversal B&W stocks what other practical B&W 35mm MP stock options remain in the modern world?

Lamentably Ilford has ceased production of their excellent MP line, even though their stocks were just their lines of still photography stock perfed BH-1866 for 35mm MP use. Supposedly they do custom orders though...

So, what other manufacturers are still in the B&W 35mm MP market? I am interested in ALL options, be they scientific, medical, reversal, print, IR, archaic, foreign, domestic or custom orders. Any replies with contact info and links to the respective manufacturers will be greatly appreciated.

fomapam

www.foma.cz

and there is also Orwo too I think?

love

Freya

I'm curious whether it would be possible to take 100 ft. spools of bulk-loaded black and white still stock and feed it through a motion picture camera, some of the Fuji Neopan stocks for example. Are the perforations the same between 35mm still and MP film? Would it be possible with a camera that didn't have a registration pin, such as a Konvas? There could be processing issues and you wouldn't have keycode, but it might be something to explore.

Fuji does make 35mm black and white Neopan film with short pitch perforations for motion picture use. It is not commercialy availible in the U.S. In Asia and some other parts of the world, it is probably easy to find or just contact Fuji on how to custom order some to your location. Svema is another maker of black and white motion picture film, Ukraine-made. There are a few more manufactures but are difficult to find dealers that sell them outside of the areas they are made. If you plan to special order a large amount, you may want to contact other b+w film makers, they may be able to make some short-pitch perforation for you. Such as Agfa.

• Premium Member
If you plan to special order a large amount, you may want to contact other b+w film makers, they may be able to make some short-pitch perforation for you. Such as Agfa.

bear in mind that AGFA sold their Still photography divison to a startup called agfa photo that is now liquidating. It is not clear if the AGFA APX B&W stock will continue to be made last I heard.

• Premium Member

The Fuji Black and White stock is 80 ASA. I haven't tested it yet to see what it looks like at 160 ASA, which is what my Dop rated the Kodak Double X (5222).

I would stay far away from ORWO, I had a really bad experience with the quality of their stock (lots of dirt, noisy). Their manufacturing standards do not seem to be high enough.

I was informed by an archivist that Agfa makes a black & white print stock in 35mm that has a higher than normal silver content.

This was AGFA 5.61 and is no longer made I'm fairly sure. Too bad it was a good print stock (the Gordon Willis/Woody Allen B&W films were printed on 5.61 for instance)

Supposedly there is an Orwo print stock that's similar (I haven't seen it)

-Sam

Guest Michael Carter

Have a go at shooting High-Contrast 16mm 7363 intermediate negative Black & white film and process it as reversal. I've done that and it projects great. It has a unique look. Fantastic detail. There are lots of gray tones, too; especially when it is exposed and processed correctly. I get it right more times than wrong. 10 asa is what I use but that is highly variable and open to experimentation.

Edited by Michael Carter