Need advice on either Sony HDW-750p vs F900 for CGI tv serie.

Sebastien Dostie

Hi all,

Since I have experience with the F900 I would love to hear how it compares to the HDW-750 since my clients is obviously pushing towards this solution because of it's smaller rental-fee.

The project in question is 25p and heavy CGI (lot's of Green Cyclos). I recommanded them testing the 950 but the director and the un-experienced HD DoP aren't to found of 4:4:4 optical cable hooked to a VTR. Anyway that is another whole issue.

I've lurked the forum, I've seen a couple of entries similar to mine asking comparaison between the HDW-750 and the F900. Although I could not find any opinions based on an intensive use for a CGI tv-serie.

Any advices would be lovely.

thank you,

-s

Sebastien Dostie :: VFX Director :: Ice Corp.

Hi all,

Since I have experience with the F900 I would love to hear how it compares to the HDW-750 since my clients is obviously pushing towards this solution because of it's smaller rental-fee.

The project in question is 25p and heavy CGI (lot's of Green Cyclos). I recommanded them testing the 950 but the director and the un-experienced HD DoP aren't to found of 4:4:4 optical cable hooked to a VTR. Anyway that is another whole issue.

I've lurked the forum, I've seen a couple of entries similar to mine asking comparaison between the HDW-750 and the F900. Although I could not find any opinions based on an intensive use for a CGI tv-serie.

Any advices would be lovely.

thank you,

-s

Sebastien Dostie :: VFX Director :: Ice Corp.

I've used both cameras, but I haven't yet shot any green screen with them. The HDW 750 isn't quite as subtle in it's handling of colour compared to the F900, looking at the camera output in the monitor, I preferred the F900. The good points are that the HDW 750 is smaller and uses less power than the F900.

The menu settings are different for both cameras, so you can't just transfer the same settings. They also have a different menu layout.

However, given the choice I'd go for the F950 and 4:4:4 for the green screen material. The fibre optical cable isn't that heavy and the director and DP will be the first to complain about poor mattes.

How about the Varicam? It is the same rental as the HDW 750, however it is 4:2:2 (but with a similar level of compression to HDCAM).