Cinematography is dead..

Guest JonathanSheneman

I think we're mostly missing the point, at least other than the point of a taunt that has gotten a bunch of people to respond. To me this is obviously a rant from a newbie or wannabe or otherwise non-professional who want to tease and criticise those that discuss the best and most proper ways of going about making fine cinema. It is sarcasm to the Nth degree. Well we don't NEED to have the Cooke S4s and the latest Arricam, and we don't absolutely NEED to have proper shooting permits or insurance, but it is better to have them all.

Look at the banner at the top of every page. Cinematography.com is for "professional motion picture camera people, news & resources." You can feel free to stick to the newbies and indie sections or go to other forums that cater to these things. Or you can participate here are discuss matters on a professional level and in a professional manner.

Well done Mitch.

Remember that scene in "Ed Wood" when Ed was like, "We don't have a permit- run!" and they were scrambling to get all the equipment? For some reason that is all I can think of when I read posts like this. And then I just have to laugh. Maybe there's something to be said for low-budget, run-and-gun style filmmaking, to be sure. But on the other hand, it is always an advantage to have permits, insurance, etc. It is the only way to pay proper respect to the art of filmmaking. If you want to run around with your mom's $300 camcorder from Best Buy, knock yourself out, but I'd rather play with the good toys. B)

That's one of the few benefits to shooting your stuff in a small town. We got in good with the Chief of Police right away. He loves movies. What ever we've asked for, he knocks out a permit for without question.

Haha nice? I?m pretty sure I don?t need any permits in my town of 5000 unless I needed to do something that would cause trafic jams. ;)

I think just as long as you have nice sharp lenses, pin registration, fresh stock and baths- plus an array of pro lighting equipment such as HMI's and those lights they hang off crains for night shots.. you basically rival all professional cameramen. AND you don't get hassled by the man which happens to me constantely, the police hate movies unless they're pig asses are getting payed $50/hr to provide "security"- what a joke.

So until I can get Cooke and Superspeeds I guess most of you will be better photographers than me.

We've offically entered the Michael Jackson era of seriously freakish cinematography like the Hi-constrasty bleach by-passed look used on most Movies and TV shows. It's unreal and distracting.

I real better now.

Whatever happened to that Jonathan Sheneman guy?

Guest Josh Gannon

Either this guy is just trying to stir everybody up or he just doesn't get it.

I think everybody here has pretty much said the main point, All the equipment in the world will not make up for a talentless, unskilled filmaker in any discipline.

It takes a lot of things for one to become a brilliant filmaker, and I truley don't belive that equipment is one of them.

Edited by Josh Gannon

Guest Jim Murdoch

You don't need any of that stuff actually. All you need is a cheap Sony Handycam and a copy of that enhancing software that you see all the time in cop shows like CSI.

You know; where they take a six-pixel image from a license plate from a cheap surveillance camera and "enhance" it so you can not only read the numbers clearly (as well as the state) , if you're lucky, you can even get a partial print of the suspect!

That would turn handycam footage into something indistinguishable from 35mm surely.

(Do you want algorithms with that, sir?)

Actually you need two things: a copy of the software, and a cop to stand behind you and say "enhance" in a loud clear voice. Bloody unions; getting into everything these days......

Guest Josh Gannon
Actually you need two things: a copy of the software, and a cop to stand behind you and say "enhance" in a loud clear voice. Bloody unions; getting into everything these days......

Hehe...

I stand corrected, I would love a copy of that software!

In Indiana, we rarely need permits to shoot, unless we need to close of streets or something major like that, then it's not really a big deal anyway.

Copied from Indiana Film Website:

Do I need a permit?

The State of Indiana itself does not require a permit to film and most local jurisdictions don't, either. You'll find Indiana to be extremely low-hassle, with few permits required. In some cases, you'll need to do some paperwork to close streets and roads. But for the most part, you won't need to jump through a lot of hoops.

Once you've identified your locations, you can check with the Film office if you need assistance with road closings.

Whitney Overturf, Project Manager

(317/232-8853)

filminfo@iedc.in.gov

I'm glad I live in Indiana, where filmmaking can actually be done without having to have 50 permits and insureance out the ass...

Plus, Indiana is a "Employment at Will" state, meaning you don't have to hire from unions.

Edited by Landon D. Parks