Newly Acquired 16mm cameras

Jon Peterson

I just picked up a pair of Bell and Howell Filmo 70 DR 16mm cameras for $30 and I'm trying to find information on them. I know it came out in 1951 and they both run great. Does anybody know anything about this camera or any websites that do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Peterson

Don't know of any websites unless maybe you do a Google search.The Bell and Howell cameras you describe are great little workhorses.They were very popular for TV news back in the day.They're virtually indestructable,you hear stories about them being dropped out of helicopters and used in riots as weapons,it's almost like someone carved a camera out of a rock somewhere.

Not much we can tell you that isn't really self apparent by looking at it.It has multiple speeds,100foot capacity,spring wound,the motor will run I think 22 feet of film per wind.It has a 3 lens turret and C mount lenses should be easy to come by although you may have some difficulty finding the appropriate parrallex objective for the viewfinder.Hope this helps.

Marty

My favorite tidbit is to replace the butterfly winding crank with a standard doorknob with standard square shaft. The shaft is the same size and by turning the doorknob one direction and the camera the other you can very quickly reset the spring.

There is a yahoo group for Bell & Howell Filmo users and collectors: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bh_filmo70/

It's not always active, but you can read through past messages and get some information on the Filmo. Join and ask some questions, the moderator is real helpful. There isn't much else on the web that has information about the Filmo. You may want to have your cameras cleaned and re-lubed before shooting anything with them. Usually these cameras have been sitting for years and the oil and grease has dried or stiffened. Once cleaned and oiled/lubed they should run forever. At least oil it before running it anymore! Don't forget the oil port under the silver pin on the turret.

Charlie

Thanks for the replies, they were very helpful.

Charlie I have a question for you. What kind of oil should be used? Is standard 3 in 1 oil in the small tin recepticals appropriate or are you talking about some kind of actual "camera" oil? Thanks for the info.

Mitch, thanks for the tidbit about the doorknob handle. It's very helpful because they actually didn't come with the winding cranks.

Any more info would also be helpful.

Thanks again.

Jon Peterson

Jon,

As to which oil to use on the Filmos, I use a "camera" oil from Arri on my Filmos. The Arri oil I use is the one for the earlier Arri 16mm cameras such as the Arri S, M and BL. There was a discussion on the Filmo Group about which oil to use.... look that up. You can call Alan Gordon service dept. in L.A. Alan Gordon did end up with all the B&H Filmo and Eyemo parts and tools when B&H went out of the motion picture camera business. I believe Alan Gordon just sold off the Filmo parts and tools to International Cinema in Miami,FL. Another place to call about oil is U.T. Photo Service in Burbank. Their phone # 323 245 6631. I've heard U.T. does good service, and you may want to have them clean your cameras, or just the better one of the two. Unfortunately, having your cameras cleaned and tuned up WILL cost a lot more than what you spent purchasing them. You can send your camera to them for an evaluation / estimate 1st. BTW, the "DR" model 1st appeared in either 1955 or 1956.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie and everyone for your replies. Yeah, thanks to the Yahoo group I'm now pretty well informed as to what I've got on my hands. I read through a lot of the posts and it's answered most of my quesions. I'm going to look into those places about the oil, but I don't know if I've got the cash to hand out to get one cleaned and tuned yet. Thanks again.

Jon

i love my B&H Filmo HR...i even have the 400' mags for it but only use it for 100' loads...

i have used it as a B-CAMERA for several features I've DPed that are at Blockbuster and Hollywood Video...

UT Photo in Burbank is great...i was able to get a copy of the original owners manual from them...

• 2 months later...

I have used B&H 70's for wildlife stuff. I suggest you look for a 12-120 with

built in reflex viewfinder. The viewfinder will have a small circle of frost in the middle

to focus, not the entire frame, so it hard, but you have reflex viewing a zoom

capability without having use the turret, parallax and so on. Also, Angenieux made

a l7-16 zoom with a prism viewfinder built on and this a very sharp lens. In Sync

would end up advertising some of these lenses and they do turn the B&H into

a fast operating more capable camera. Us camera oil, Arri or Photosonics

has great oils. Dont over oil and dont over wind the camera be very gentle on

the last wind. Also make sure the turret is tight all the time otherwise a heavy

lens will start to pull it away from the plan. Our cameras never stopped and

hauled em in the wildlerness and beat around considerably. I think its great

people still use these old timers.

• Premium Member
,it's almost like someone carved a camera out of a rock somewhere.

The one weak point on both the Filmo and Eyemo is where the turret and door meet. The body casting is very thin there, and if it breaks anywhere, it'll be there.

-- J.S.