interesting practicals

• Premium Member

the setting is a beach house, belonging to a sculpter with no access to electricity (in the script). apart from candles/ fire, what other practicles would you suggest? i'm thinking any lighting past and present that a hoarder might find have eg oil lamps and battery powered lighting. anyone can think of anything dynamic and interesting. the decor is eclectic and so a mish mash of styles could be interesting.

any help greatly apreciated.

keith

• Premium Member

Hey,

Sounds almost like a Q for the art director. Plenty of items are useful. What matches the character and setting?

Battery powered lamps that are a prop and lighting motivator can be a bother. You may go through a lot of batteries over the days of shooting. Oil lamps need refilling but the kerosene is cheap. CAndles burn down and have to be replaced by the case load for continuity reasons.

Kerosene lamps might be the easiest on the continuity and budget. You can even frost the glass with sandpaper and put a lamp and orange gel inside them. You just have to constantly keep the wire out of the shot.

• Premium Member

I expect you'll be using available light as far as possible, much favored by visual artists of all kinds. Skylights, big windows - diffused and bare, doorways.

Battery-powered fluoro's are very 'shack-chic'. Would a small noisy generator be appropriate for the character and setting?

• Premium Member

the setting is a primitive house on the beach front in england. there is a scene at night, but it is pitch black outside, in keeping with the character a wood sculpter there is no generator. this is not a period piece though. the character is ecentric and the actual house is location with no electricity or even sanitation for that matter. we will obviously have a generator for filming purposes, but the character himself wouldn't. i am working on the production design myself, but i am asking other production designers i know for ideas as well. i'm really interested in lights that both look interesting and emit different light in terms of style and temp- there really is no boundaries but nothing should be that expensive or new to keep with the characterisation.

thanks

keith

the setting is a primitive house on the beach front in england. there is a scene at night, but it is pitch black outside, in keeping with the character a wood sculpter there is no generator. this is not a period piece though. the character is ecentric and the actual house is location with no electricity or even sanitation for that matter. we will obviously have a generator for filming purposes, but the character himself wouldn't. i am working on the production design myself, but i am asking other production designers i know for ideas as well. i'm really interested in lights that both look interesting and emit different light in terms of style and temp- there really is no boundaries but nothing should be that expensive or new to keep with the characterisation.

thanks

keith

I'm only thinking from DP perspective, that since you "can't" use light, you'll need super fast lenses, and 500T or 800T taking stock.

There are ways to add light, and then set exposure for character, and make it look super dark. Don't underestimate.

I was thinking an assortment of chinese lanterns lit with candles (or lamps pretending to be candles)...all different colors and designs could add some cool color and texture to the background. Hanging or sitting on the ground just strewn all over the place...that's it...I'm stealing this idea from myself for myself...

Wherever you're at just go to the nearest ChinaTown and drop $40 bucks and you should be good...or IKEA they might have some cool stuff too...and you can always return the stuff to IKEA after the shoot...IKEA's returns policy is a Godsend for low budget set designers everywhere...

Good luck!!!

John

• Premium Member

i'm trying to think of different and dynamic practicals. an example would be gelled battery powered flurecents, or a light i remember having in my den when i was a kid was a workmen hazzard light- the kind errected round holes in the road (it flashed orange and ran on a big fat battery and lasted for weeks). remember the character is a sculpter and is not restricted to traditional aesthetics. it is his livingroom he lives alone and therefor he can be as creative as he (or I) want to be with any lighting that doesn't need to be plumbed into the mains.

again thank for all suggestions,

Keith

This might sound stupid, but how about trying to create the effect of glowworms in a glass jar? Ive only seen it in cartoons and dont know how much light is ommited from such creatures in reality. I own a beach hut myself (in england) but when I sleep in it, im never thrown into the dark due to neibouring security lights from other 'more secure' beach huts and shops. maybe you could create the effect of a lighthouse nearby (although im sure that in reality, light from lighthouses are designed not to interfere with anything on land). this probably isnt very helpfull, just trying to think creatively! I know, how about Kryptonite! (now im being daft)

best of luck mate!