Anyone tried homebrew motion control ?

Nick Mulder

cool,

a gripping forum ...

I am interested in making some motion control gear

... was wondering if there was anyone else interested in tinkering with that sort of carry on also

if so feel free to share links/ideas/criticisms

I personally am making an equitorial mount from here:

http://www.astunit.com/tonkinsastro/atm/projects/scotch.htm

Baraka style 16mm hopefully ...

the circuit isnt working yet tho and from downloading the specs of the chips I think a few of the other components will need value changes ... I've distilled the problem down to the crystal and the 4060, will see in a few days when the components arrive

thats me tho

what about you ? B)

• Premium Member

Hello,

I've considered a stepper motor rig. It is used commonly in industrial, manufacturing applications. The motors range from $50.00 to $300.00 each. The contol units are pricey as golly-gee-heck-fire. Yet, they can drive many motors in precise orchestration. Conceivably, you could control: focus, zoom, iris, cam motor and speed, pan, tilt, crane arm, crane turret, crane dolly motion and speed, and crane dolly's untracked steering, all off one controller system. How much noise this rig would make is unknown to me. My concern is a matter of replacing the clumsy human contolled timing of orchestrating this much motion at once and not working with a shooting ratio that is through the roof.

Hello,

I've considered a stepper motor rig. It is used commonly in industrial, manufacturing applications. The motors range from $50.00 to $300.00 each.

try pulling apart old disk drives and printers - the older the better, as things generally were heavier and clumsier the further back you go and needed bigger and bigger steppers to drive them ...

the trick is being able to find out if the stepper is uni or bipolar, how many phase, what voltage/amp etc...

getting matched sets is always a plus

eg. cheap/mystery steppers:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...asp?id=45438485

• Premium Member

What a great idea for a new forum.

I've been getting surplus sale catalogs from C and H Sales in Pasadena for years. They've always got some stepper motors and from time to time have a reasonably priced driver card or two. They also have a large collection of modular power supplies to power things up with. It takes some electrical/electronic ability to work with what they have, they're strictly an old fashioned surplus house - they assume YOU know what you're doing.

They're now on ebay at: http://stores.ebay.com/C-AND-H-SALES_W0QQssPageNameZl4QQtZkm

Edmond, OK