so we all agree???

seth christian

many people use the word scan when referring to telecine and they are not incorrect.

Of course they're incorrect. It's precisely because people say scan when they mean telecine that people like Christian get confused over terms and what to expect from a post house.

A scan and a telecine are different things. A scan converts a negative to data. A telecine converts negative to video, of whatever format you choose. The better the format, the less information you lose in the process. There is no such thing as uncompressed DV.

Thanks for correcting me Stuart.

This would be why 2k scan is expensive.

How does grading work with telecine? Practically?

When the Davinci runs the spirit it runs a scanner? When the lab asks me about my onelight to dv, they do this with the spirit? Or am I wrong? I think this is were I get confused. It's the same scanner?

Best regards,

Erik

Edited by Erik Turestedt

thanks everyone!

yah, it gets a little confusing when everyone is spittin different

terms out where not everyone agrees with everything.

Anywho, screw it!!!! I'm just gonna stick with digibeta right

now, then try the 2k direct to hard drive next time when

I have a couple Terabyte drives to play with. Right now,

I only have a 500gb drive. so it might be tight

Any other points???

Edited by thinkmonkeymedia

• Premium Member

Generally a film scanner is pin-registered and scans a frame at a time, creating a data file; a telecine in a way is also a form of scanner, but it usually is not pin-registered and the film moves continuously, and the output is usually video.

But a Spirit is a telecine that is also called a "datacine" because it can output either data or video.

A DaVinci is a color-corrector, separate from the telecine.

When someone tells me that they did a DI and I ask them what they scanned the film with, they might say "a Spirit", even though that is a telecine, not a film scanner. But we all understand what is meant.