What Camera to use.

David Beier

I'm sure this type of thread has appeared on these boards alot, but here's one more.

I'm a film student who may be running into a small sum of money and is debating what sort of camera to invest in (as I've probably gotten as much use out of my single chip JVC as I ever will).

I'm planning on shooting a music video later in the year and, as I'm sure is the case with most, am always trying to go for that covetted "film look" without actually having to put up the bill to shoot on film.

So...I'm trying to find a camera that suits my needs for under 5,000.

Currently, the Panasonic AG-DVX100A seems like the clear choice as I've used it several times in my film program and it seems to be the "in" camera among low budget film makers.

However, it recently caught my eye that JVC is marketing it's GR-HD1, a high-def camera, for around $3500. I don't know that much about digital technology, but it strikes me that there must be some sort of a catch for an HD Cam to be selling cheaper than a standard mini-DV cam. The fact that it's onle a single chip is also a bit discouraging.

How exactly do these two cameras compare? Which looks closer to film on the small screen? On the big screen? Which is more flexable? Which has greater lattitude and color depth? Which is more user friendly?