MAX-8 (Beaulieu mod.) & Canon 1014 XL-S

Chris Graham

Wattup film katz. I just registered, it's a pleasure to be here and share Super8 work with you buffs. I have several upcoming projects for music videos in 06+. I've had a Canon 1014 XL-S for several years now (bought on ebay back in 01), but never really used it.

I would like to send my 1014 for a Crystal mod., but then I'm thinking about the new MAX-8 format from pro8mm for 16x9 widescreen. It's said that the Beaulieu 4008 (+ further series) were made with a bigger gate opposed to Canon, Nikon, etc..

What do you guys think? I'm really interested in working with MAX-8 to be honest, I mean who wouldn't want to test it out? I know some heads say just matte'it out (4x3) during post...

I don't know, I just want to make the right investments in the long run.

I know I've come across several sites in the past with video assist mods for the 1014, but can't find any atm.

Any Super8 experienced heads shed some light on me on several directions. thx

Guest Ian Marks

You can get a crystal sync modification for your Canon from the Film Group, but there's no way Pro8mm is going to modify your camera to "Max 8". . . that's for Beaulieu cameras only. Because the lens on your Canon is not interchangeable, there's no practical way to recenter it for widescreen.

thx, Ian.

i guess I wrote that wrong. I'm aware that MAX-8 was intended for Beaulieu, strictly.

Should I stick with the 1014 & mod if for crystal, or should I find a Beaulieu series capable of MAX-8. If I remember correctly, there's a 20% increase in picture with MAX-8. I'm in search of the 16x9 convenience.

Or is it all hype/overrated.

Hi;

Thing is what about telecine, I assume "max-8" would require a new gate and if that means you're relying on the company in question then that is not good news.... Lets just say their process/transfer standards are less than consistant as far as I'm aware. Just a thought.

Olly

Hi;

Thing is what about telecine, I assume "max-8" would require a new gate and if that means you're relying on the company in question then that is not good news.... Lets just say their process/transfer standards are less than consistant as far as I'm aware. Just a thought.

Olly

Any HD telecine could handle the film shot on a Max 8. Besides, isn't this new format much better suited for HD. I have a Nizo 6080 with an enlarged gate and have done a good deal of calling around to see if this would present a problem. the short answer I always got was "it won't". Most all TK suites can pull out to see the extra area that has been exposed. I have not done the HD route yet, but my research is pointing to the fact that either a Shadow, Spirit or Cineglyph will do a good job of it.

Chris

Another option is super duper 8 (similar to Max 8, but no lens or viewfinder recentering). It's not perfect, but you can file your gate yourself, or Mitch Perkins here in Toronto does it for $50. He also offers wide screen transfer.

Check our website for more details about our super duper 8 feature Sleep Always. You'll also find contact info for Mitch and myself there.

Also, many heated debates about the pros and cons on the various forums if you search for them.

Rick

Another option is super duper 8 (similar to Max 8, but no lens or viewfinder recentering). It's not perfect, but you can file your gate yourself, or Mitch Perkins here in Toronto does it for $50. He also offers wide screen transfer.

Check our website for more details about our super duper 8 feature Sleep Always. You'll also find contact info for Mitch and myself there.

Also, many heated debates about the pros and cons on the various forums if you search for them.

Rick

hey, thx Rick

So I can send my 1014 to your guy and have it Super Duper?

A crystal mod would be a great asset for your 1014 camera in my opinion. And, it would cost much less. Useful for concerts, interviews and any other application requiring location sound.

MAX-8 is really just another Pro8mm gimmick to corner people into their pricey niche services (including their telecine). I recommend you use caution with them.