favorite sports or nature doc shot on 16mm?

Seth Mondragon

Just wondering about some of your favorite docs, either sports or nature, that were shot on 16, or Super16. Another recent thread was talking about NFL Films and I remembered how much I liked them. Also, March of the Penguins was shot on Super16 and I was wondering if anybody knew of anymore like this.

• Premium Member

Dust To Glory, a documentary by director Dana Brown (Step Into Liquid) about the 2003 Baja 1000 off-road race, was shot primarily on Super 16 with additional 35mm, Sony 900 HD and Panasonic AG-DVX100 mini DV footage cut in. Here's a link: http://d2gfilm.com

DP Kevin Ward was interviewed in the March, 2005 issue of American Cinematographer and explains some of the reasons he chose film for majority of footage shot for this project. I believe there were more than 40 cameras used on this film and the majority of the race footage was shot with Arriflex High-Speed SR3s. Whenever possible the Panasonics were used side-by-side with the Arris to gather additional footage as well as wild sound from the race. All told there were about 170 hours of footage shot and edited down to 90 minutes.

That's Dana with a Panasonic at the center in the group photo; Producer Scott Waugh on the right. The other photo shows a camera team using the SR3 in conjunction with the Panasonic.

post-7375-1138145427.jpg

post-7375-1138145456.jpg