mini dv film out demos

napali2

Knowing that many of you have made the rounds, I was hoping to save a bit of run around time and find some leads on credible Los Angeles post house that have worthy digital and film out showreels that can be screened - hopefully with examples of several aquisition formats to see the pluses and minuses of each when projected.

Due to budget constraints, it appears mini dv is the only option for a docco I am to set begin in a few weeks. Because of the funding limitations and an eventual post finish for digital projection (hopeful filmout at a later date) does anyone on the list suggest a LA based post house that has a definitive side by side comparison of various aquisition formats that are projected both on film and digital to compare quality issues.

I was hoping to shoot S16 or HD, but that might not be possible, at least for now. Do any of these finish houses (that you might suggest) have filmouts of footage shot with a DVX100 or SDX900?

I would think that shooting in PAL would help the limitations of mini dv considerably.

Due to the subject matter, there will be very long interviews (talking heads) shot in natural light. Knowing the format limitations, i would try to set up interior interviews next to windows spilling soft light or in shade for exteriors avoiding large lighting ratios.

Any leads on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Brian Bleak

• Premium Member

I know that Dave Klein shot a 24P test of the DVX100 and the SDX900 that Laser Pacific transferred to film. And EFilm has tests of a variety of video formats transferred to film as well. Probably most of the places that do transfers have tests, such as FotoKem.

The projected 24P SDX900 footage looked pretty good, much better than the DVX100.

The projected 24P SDX900 footage looked pretty good, much better than the DVX100.

Thanks David.

In your opinion, why did you prefer the SDX footage over the DVX footage?

Brian Bleak

why did you prefer the SDX footage over the DVX footage?

For starters, the SDX is a much better camera! At around 27 thousand dollars USD, it's about 6 times more expensive than the DVX.

SDX900:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/s...Model=AJ-SDX900

DVX100:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/s...odel=AG-DVX100A

It can also capture a vastly larger dynamic range, so that even when recording in DV25 there is much more information to play with. When in DV50 the difference is that much more. The camera is also incredibly sensitive. Couple that with the advanced cine-gamma functions and you have a camera capable of capturing an astounding amount of information for SD video. Add the 24p and shutter functions and it truly is the most capable SD camera out there currently, at least in my opinion.