Super-35 Modification for the Arri 2B/C

Guest ReadyTeddy

Guest ReadyTeddy

I'd like to know if anyone is aware whether or not this can be done...

I haven't seen any Super-35 modified Arri 2Bs or 2Cs floating around.

If it can be done, who would be able to do it?

• Premium Member
I'd like to know if anyone is aware whether or not this can be done...

I haven't seen any Super-35 modified Arri 2Bs or 2Cs floating around.

If it can be done, who would be able to do it?

Hi,

With a PL mount, when recentered for S35, some lenses will hit the mirror! P+S technic leaves the lens centre alone with its 3 perf conversion. The optics in the viewfinder don't cover and the gate needs to be milled out!

Its not going to be the cheepest conversion..............

Stephen

• Premium Member

One solution, which was used on the Super-35 "Silverado" I believe for a few MOS shots made on Arri-2C's, is to just put in the larger Full Aperture gate but don't recenter the lenses, and just use lenses that cover Full Aperture even though optically miscentered. It may be limiting in terms of lens choice (probably only longer lenses would work).

• Premium Member
One solution, which was used on the Super-35 "Silverado" I believe for a few MOS shots made on Arri-2C's, is to just put in the larger Full Aperture gate but don't recenter the lenses, and just use lenses that cover Full Aperture even though optically miscentered. It may be limiting in terms of lens choice (probably only longer lenses would work).

Hi,

Only a few of the Zeiss lenses (16mm for sure) will hit the mirror. Almost all modern prime lenses will cover S35 when not recentered, so its a workable option. The Cooke S4's have more space behind the rear element FWIW.

Stephen

• Premium Member

G'day Bruce,

Glad to see you around. I was going to tell this guy about you but you beat me to it. Did the bastards down at customs accept the ransom monies in exchange for the Fries? What about a Nikon mount on an Arri IIB? Is that do-able along with a techniscope convert?

• Premium Member
G'day Bruce,

Glad to see you around. I was going to tell this guy about you but you beat me to it. Did the bastards down at customs accept the ransom monies in exchange for the Fries? What about a Nikon mount on an Arri IIB? Is that do-able along with a techniscope convert?

Paul,

The techniscope conversion to a IIb should be fine as the lens centre stays put. Good luck with the Fries!

Cheers,

Stephen

Paul

Got your camera. They made me pay sales tax on the freight cost for crying out loud...

As Stephen said 2 perf on any Arri is fine. If you insist on using the Nikons (instead of my beuatiful BNCR set...hint, hint,) yes a mount can be added to the 2B

Regards

Bruce

Guest ReadyTeddy

Bruce:

Can you please email me through the board and provide me with your contact details?

I'd be interested in getting a quote on modifying my old IIB.

Thank you!

Teddy