n00b question re:16mm Kodachrome

Erdwolf_TVL

Well, I've posted some Super-8 Kodachrome to Kodak and it came back processed!

Now I'm about to mail off a roll of 16mm...

- Do I simply remove my own daylight spool and ship it off to Kodak?

- In other words, is the expectation that I should rewind it? (presumably not)

- Will I get my spool back, or willl Kodak send me another?

- Do I need to pay for the return shipping, or is that included, as with Super-8?

- I'm presuming I should put the film back in the dark protective housing - do I need to tape it up?

- How much leader (if any) can I expect on my returned film?

- Should it be sent to the same Kodak facility in Switzerland as Super-8?

- Is there anything I missed out on?

Please accept my humble appologies is these questions have obvious answers...

• Premium Member

I've never sent any 16 mm neg to Kodak to process, I've always sent to a lab, but, if Kodak processes 16 mm, or if you send it to any lab, I can give you my 2 cents :

Do I simply remove my own daylight spool and ship it off to Kodak?

Put them back in the black plastic cartridge (I assume you have run 100' rolls)

do I need to tape it up?

I'm not sure of what you mean... If you mean to tape the stock at its end the answer is no. If you mean to tape the cartrige opening, well, I've always done that with 100' cartridges, don't take the risk it might be opened.

I should rewind it?

No

Will I get my spool back, or willl Kodak send me another?

The positive print should be rolled on a core or spool.

Do I need to pay for the return shipping, or is that included, as with Super-8?

I guess you should pay for it, it's not like super 8

How much leader (if any) can I expect on my returned film?

Enough to load in a projector (a couple of meters, may be)

Should it be sent to the same Kodak facility in Switzerland as Super-8?

I don't know. As I told you, I send 16 mm neg to labs, not to kodak. May be John Pytlack could answer this one.

Or... Can't you give them a call ?

Is there anything I missed out on?

Did you expose properly ? if not, it's not too late for requiring a push (or pull) process...

Usually (don't know for Kodak'lab) the question is : do you color time your print or not ? Did you shoot a chart in the beginning of the roll as to give a reference ?

• Premium Member

You send the film on the metal spool into the lab and move the empty to the other spindle as the take-up.

They will send you the processed film usually on a plastic spool.

Dwayne's photo lab in Kansas City (www.k-14movies.com)may be the only lab to process Kodachrome 16mm. I think the swiss lab was supposed to shut down. Best of luck

• Premium Member
Well, I've posted some Super-8 Kodachrome to Kodak and it came back processed!

Now I'm about to mail off a roll of 16mm...

- Do I simply remove my own daylight spool and ship it off to Kodak?

- In other words, is the expectation that I should rewind it? (presumably not)

- Will I get my spool back, or willl Kodak send me another?

- Do I need to pay for the return shipping, or is that included, as with Super-8?

- I'm presuming I should put the film back in the dark protective housing - do I need to tape it up?

- How much leader (if any) can I expect on my returned film?

- Should it be sent to the same Kodak facility in Switzerland as Super-8?

- Is there anything I missed out on?

Please accept my humble appologies is these questions have obvious answers...

Welcome to the world of 16mm..

I see you are in the UK. Kodachrome sold outside the USA is generaly sold with Kodak processing included. It will say on the box that it came in - "price includes processing" In the USA market, Kodak was caught by the antitrust laws and has to sell it without processing. "film price does not include processing by Kodak"

YOu should put your exposed roll back in the plastic box, and mail it off to the same address as you sent your super 8, unless there is a differnt address in the package! Here in Canada you send film with processing included to Brampton Ontario, and Kodak forwards it to the lab. I have not sent them any 16mm, but both Super 8 and US market regular 8 (Via "international Film" sent in with a US market PK-59 mailer) were returned after apperntly being proceesed by Dwaynes- They were mailed back from the US and They came on a white tayor reel return reel. Kodak labs used to have their own - Black for super 8 and grey for regular 8.

You can probaly ask the "help line" from Kodak in the UK to confirm the address. And the price if your film is not processing included.

AS far as spools, you send in the takeup spool, and use the one that the film came on for your next roll. I am not sure if the lab will return the spool if requested, it is an extra step for them to do so.

(some labs handling reveral film in general will use the camera spool as a return reel, saves them buying a reel, but I doubt that Kodak would work that way.)

If the processing is included, so would be the return shipping by regular surface mail. Kodak and Dwaynes traditional splice on a length of white leader.

Hi, send your exposed 16mm kodachrome to Switzerland on your black metal daylite spool together with the packing that came with the film. You do not need to rewind the film onto the original spool supplied with the film. I assume your spool in the camera is the same as the kodachrome spool? If your roll of kodachrome is in a plastic box after processing kodak will return the processed film on metal camera spool, if your packaging is cardboard and plastic film can, kodak will return the processed film on a white plastic spool. If you are short of daylite spools and require a couple as backup, PM me, i have a few spare. Dont forget, send the film direct to Switzerland. I always ship film in it original packaging, plus two jiffy bags.