A forum for Super-8???

• Premium Member

I noticed a particular thread has several forum members giving their opinion that a Super-8 forum would be a great idea. (the idea was suggested about the 5th or 6th post down by some guy who works for Kodak. :D)

Super-8 Forum

It's possible that the moderator may have never even noticed the suggestion because it was buried within a topic post with a different name.

I noticed a particular thread has several forum members giving their opinion that a Super-8 forum would be a great idea.

I would love to see a forum for super 8,but if one never appears on this site there is another super 8 message board on http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...ubb=forum&f=409 and super 8 in the digital age on http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...ubb/forum/f/405.

Have fun.

Marty

I agree. There's enough to discuss in Super 8 alone that it should have it's own forum. After all, it's the format I know most about at this time.....art school starts you out with Super 8 cameras....kind of sucks huh?

It's still higher quality and better dynamic range than video, though.

• Premium Member
I agree.  There's enough to discuss in Super 8 alone that it should have it's own forum.  After all, it's the format I know most about at this time.....art school starts you out with Super 8 cameras....kind of sucks huh?

It's still higher quality and better dynamic range than video, though.

Sometimes what gets overlooked about Super-8 cameras are the incredible array of features. Many times features found on super-8 cameras relating to filming speeds and shutter angles are only found on specialized 16mm and 35m cameras, so as a learning tool or a "curiousity tool" Super-8 makes a lot of sense.

Super-8 won't be confused with 16mm and 35mm in terms of the likelihood of one earning a "living" but in terms of being a great "tool" to learn or experiment with it can't be beat.

Plus Super-8 cameras make handy "scopes" when one is trying to convey framing to a client or crew during pre-production walk throughs.

My experience with Super8: For the price of a no-frills, no features, minimal capability, one-speed 16mm camera, I bought a Super8 camera with every bell, whistle, and feature you need. Want to change shutter speed, got it. Need to synch sound, got it. And if you combine it with the new Vision2 stock, looks downright amazing and professional.

It's not what the camera has that counts in the end, it is the image you end up seeing on the screen. If the image looks good, the audience won't know/care if it was shot on 65mm or Super8, they will be too engrossed in the story.