bolex H16 reflex footage? rex 1

Stewart Munro

I've used the Rex, but I would say that to post footage for reference or idea of quality- if that's what your looking for- is pointless. The camera is great, but its more about what lense, what film, and how it was shot (i.e. exposure & processing). For instance I've used both neg and reversal but tend to really go for really pushing out the grain and distorting the image through reflection and shooting throught glass.

By the way, once it's been compressed for the internet it'd be very difficult to tell the difference if it was Super 8, 16mm, or 35mm. I've owned several Bolex models and had nothing but great results, steady picture, and reliable performance.

Guest Ian Marks

Bryan is right - you won't be able to make any judgement about the quality of the Bolex footage (vs. other 16mm cameras) by looking at a clip online. The Bolex is capable of producing footage that compares with any other 16mm camera - period. Remember that lenses and film stock are a bigger determinor of image quality than the particular make of camera. If you're finishing on video the equipment used for the transfer and the skill of the operator/colorist can also make a huge difference.

That having been said, I seem to recall hearing (and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that "The Gods Must be Crazy" was shot on a Bolex.

The only thing to look for would be registration, and even that can differ from each indivual bolex camera. Everything else is a variable.

I think many people misunderstand what gives film its look. Its not like video, which depends on ccd,etc. A film cameras final visual quality heavily relies on the lens and type of film stock used and not the camera itslef, other than registration and shutter.

The process of using the camera, is it user friendly, is it heavy, is it quiet, does it have crystal sync, what type of lenses does it accept - these are the things that distinguish a film camera. Basically, all film cameras of the same gauge can give the same look.

If they are both running properly, an old Bolex will give the same result as a newer Arri if they are used with the same lens and film stock. With exception to registration. Maybe the Bolex will be a little jittery.

Edited by Keneu

To say you wouldn't be able to see the difference between super 8mm and 35mm just because it's a compressed quicktime is ridiculous!

Just picking two vids at random

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/mi...iii/medium.html

http://www.memphis-industries.com/ladyflash.mov

which ones which???

MI III was shot on Super 8...wow!!! lol

Thank you for the clips, with Quicktime you can judge quality. Any 16mm clips?

Bryan is right - you won't be able to make any judgement about the quality of the Bolex footage (vs. other 16mm cameras) by looking at a clip online. The Bolex is capable of producing footage that compares with any other 16mm camera - period. Remember that lenses and film stock are a bigger determinor of image quality than the particular make of camera. If you're finishing on video the equipment used for the transfer and the skill of the operator/colorist can also make a huge difference.

That having been said, I seem to recall hearing (and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that "The Gods Must be Crazy" was shot on a Bolex.

Since that was 35mm techniscope, most unlikely.

I believe "The Endless Summer" was shot mostly with Bolexes, but can't give you the models.

---LV

Guest Ian Marks

"Gods" was Technicscope? My bad. I heard about it being shot on a Bolex so long ago that I always accepted it as fact. I never saw the film myself. I know that a few exterior shots in "Following" were shot on a Bolex (the rest was shot on an Arri 16BL) but they're nothing to write home about.