Hey guys. I have been a member of this forum for a while now. I have to admit that I have learnt a lot from you. I have a question regarding High Definition filming. Its a fact that H.D has better resolution than Standard Definition. I plan to enter into music video production. I would love to shoot on film but its too expensive for a newbie.

I am therefore left with the option of High Definition for quality. Unfortunately, my country does not transmit H.D material. This means that even if I shot on H.D, I would have to release on S.D. My question is, would I loose quality, and if so, how significant would that be? I other words, would it make more sense to shoot on H.D for S.D transmission, or S.D for S.D.

I would really appreciate any advice. Asante (thanks).

• Premium Member

It depends on the quality of the SD camera and the HD camera, and if you need the film-look that 24P/25P/30P provides (progressive-scan) versus standard 50i/60i (interlaced-scan).

For example, you'd probably get a better SD picture using a Panasonic SDX900, since that can do 24P, and has 2/3" CCD's and takes pro lenses -- versus downconverting a 60i HD picture from a 1/3" CCD HD camera with a fixed zoom. Plus the SDX900 can shoot DVCPRO50, which is digital betacam quality.

So it's not just an SD versus HD issue -- you also have to factor in size of the CCD's (which controls depth of field), whether it does progressive-scan (which helps create more of a film look to the motion), and whether it can take good lenses.

But a pro SD camera will be more expensive to buy than a consumer HD camera.

In the consumer HD realm, I'd look into the Canon XLH1, or a JVC ProHD, or Panasonic HVX200 (the three that can create a good 24P look). Otherwise I'd spend more and get the SD Panasonic SDX900. If you can wait, there is also a Sony HD XDCAM camera coming out with 1/2" CCD's that will be near the price of the SDX900.

• Premium Member

For sure, if it's comparing prosumer HD cams to pro sd ones, considering you can't release in High Def, Pro SD is a better choice. But do you plan to buy or rent ? a prosumer HD cam is much cheaper than a pro SD one, but if you consider renting, it's about the same...

For sure, if it's comparing prosumer HD cams to pro sd ones, considering you can't release in High Def, Pro SD is a better choice. But do you plan to buy or rent ? a prosumer HD cam is much cheaper than a pro SD one, but if you consider renting, it's about the same...

Thanks for the replys. To answer your question, I plan to rent equipment. It makes more economic sense.

I think I have to check rental rates first before I can make a choice between the two. Thanks again.