Time for new stingers.

Tim Tyler

I'm looking for suggestions on either buying or making some new 50' 10/3 stingers.

I've handled the nice flexible 'Yellow Jacket' cords at the local Home Depot, but they're, um... yellow.

The cords I have now are good quality but some are probably 20+ years old and have seen better days. I'll keep them for loaners though.

I like the new cords that are resistant to soiling, have LED's in the female end, and are soft even in very cold temps. They're also a bit lighter too. But I've not been able to find any that are black.

Should I just buy bulk and make them?

• Premium Member
I'm looking for suggestions on either buying or making some new 50' 10/3 stingers.

I've handled the nice flexible 'Yellow Jacket' cords at the local Home Depot, but they're, um... yellow.

The cords I have now are good quality but some are probably 20+ years old and have seen better days. I'll keep them for loaners though.

I like the new cords that are resistant to soiling, have LED's in the female end, and are soft even in very cold temps. They're also a bit lighter too. But I've not been able to find any that are black.

Should I just buy bulk and make them?

Tim,

How many amps do you need? Production Advantage (http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/) stocks a good range of ready made stingers in 12/3 with choice of Edison, stagepin, and L5-20 plugs. They're all built on SOOW black cable. I didn't see any 12/3 Edison cables at 50' but I would bet money that they'll be glad to make up what you need at a pretty respectable price point.

Edmond, OK

• Premium Member
I'm looking for 10/3 because then I can use 20A at a distance if necessary.

I wondered about that - makes good sense to me. I got lucky last year, Home Depot clearanced out a 500' spool of 10/4 SOOW generator cable at 80% off. Took me about 2 seconds to jump on that deal!

Edmond, OK

• Premium Member

I would make them, I've made a lot from 12/3 SJO, it's great busy work for a rainy day. Be sure to check that your connectors will accept the 10/3 cable, and the strain relief will lock down properly before you start ordering in bulk.

Regards, JT

American Insulated Wire makes a really good stinger, and they have 10/3 in black, outdoor, flexible when cold. thier website is: http://www.aiwc.com/ to locate a dealer near you.

There is also a company that will take these stingers, and imprint your company name in them for what amounts to $6/stinger.

hope this helps,

Mike Hall

Glendale, AZ

Edited by Mike Hall

• 2 weeks later...