Infrared Kodak Stock

Mike Rufail

I remember seeing a trailer online for a film shot on a newly developed kodak stock called "infrared." It was

around this time last year. I was curious if anyone has used this stock or seen footage. The colors were amazing. If you know anything about it, please reply.

Mike

Kodak has made infrared films for years. The newest I know of is KODAK EKTACHROME Professional Infrared EIR Film. It can be processed in E-6 chemistry but AR5 needs to be used if you want accurate infrared results. I don't know what lenghts and perf. pitch it is availible in. Contact a Kodak sales office, they should be able to tell you. In the past, I have seen long rolls of the black and white infrared for sale in long rolls (as opposed to short rolls for still photography)

I would love to find this emulsion as a movie filmstock. I've used it for stills and really like it.

Stills labs have to disable any infrared sensors in their E6 development line to avoid fogging.

Even thought of using 100 ft. stills bulk loads in a movie camera but have never found a stills lab that could develop 100 ft. continuous lengths of any film.

Kodak and Fuji have both made E-6 process motion picture film so some cine-labs do process E-6. Don't know of any that do AR-5 except maybe if you could find a lab that does aerial photgraphy work.

Edited by dd3stp233

I've never shot the color version,but I had a cleint at the film lab I used to work at that shot quite a bit of the stuff.We made 16mm reduction internegatives for him.Seems like I remember a 16mm version was made at some point that was ME 4 process,maybe I'm wrong as that was over 25 years ago.

I don't know whether or not the color IR film has an anti halation backing on it or not,so I'm not sure whether or not you would have to change out your pressure plate.I shot the black and white IR film some years back and had to have a black plate installed for the shoot.