SR3 Advanced Steadiness

Guest oscar

Hi, Has anyone ever noticed some vertical Jiggling on film on a Sr3, I did this shot with my camera locked for compositing purposes, and suddenly I have got the telecine footage, was checking it shot by shot and I just discovered that there is this shot that jiggles a little but it happens vertically, not that very much, It can be used but silghtly jiggles, the colorist who did the telecine tells me its the camera, I was shooting at 30 FPS, I still dont have a clue, have seen it happen with other cameras but horizontal, specially at end of film roll, any clues???

Thank you very much indeed

Oscar

Yes, I've experienced this same vertical weave (almost diagnol if I remember correctly) shooting a locked off shot with an SR3. This occured only at the end of the roll and the telecine colorist also said it was the camera--that he'd seen it before. However, I've also shot with an SR3 and not had any kind of weave or jiggle at the end of a roll.

I've been tempted ever since not to shoot the last 30' or so with an SR3, but haven't experienced it enough to know that it's a universal SR3 problem or just a one time deal.

The only "special" variable in my weave situation, was that the camera was on a geared tilt plate looking straight down (90 degrees) from over a bed. I'm not sure if the position of the camera had anything to do with the weave, but would like to hear if other people have experienced this phenomenon.

When I've had to shoot greenscreen on 16mm I've opted for an Aaton for its--arguably--superior steadiness with no problems.

-Jake Kerber

Yes, I've experienced this same vertical weave (almost diagnol if I remember correctly) shooting a locked off shot with an SR3. This occured only at the end of the roll and the telecine colorist also said it was the camera--that he'd seen it before. However, I've also shot with an SR3 and not had any kind of weave or jiggle at the end of a roll.

I've been tempted ever since not to shoot the last 30' or so with an SR3, but haven't experienced it enough to know that it's a universal SR3 problem or just a one time deal.

The only "special" variable in my weave situation, was that the camera was on a geared tilt plate looking straight down (90 degrees) from over a bed. I'm not sure if the position of the camera had anything to do with the weave, but would like to hear if other people have experienced this phenomenon.

When I've had to shoot greenscreen on 16mm I've opted for an Aaton for its--arguably--superior steadiness with no problems.

-Jake Kerber

One great advantage to Aaton image steadiness is the horizontal pressure plate, which is basically a little spring-mounted bar that pushes against the edge of the film frame at the gate. Aaton has had this from the beginning in the mid-seventies, but it took until the Arri SR-3Advanced (not the original SR-3) for the Germans to admit that the French had a smart idea. There are various places that upgrade Arri SR-1, 2 & 3 cameras and can replace the gate assembly with one that has the horizontal pressure plate. I consider it an absolute must for Super-16 work destined for 35mm blow-up.

• 7 months later...
One great advantage to Aaton image steadiness is the horizontal pressure plate, which is basically a little spring-mounted bar that pushes against the edge of the film frame at the gate. Aaton has had this from the beginning in the mid-seventies, but it took until the Arri SR-3Advanced (not the original SR-3) for the Germans to admit that the French had a smart idea.

Does this include the LTR? Is the LTR steadier than the SR1?

Alain

• Premium Member

The LTR does in fact have that feature. The lateral tension spec on an LTR is a few grams less than on a bi-phase XTR or prod but I have never personally seen a registration problem on an LTR.

Is it more steady than an SR1? Who knows. If you have two equally maintained cameras I'd put my money on the Aaton but that is more of a gut reaction.

NOTE: I work at an Aaton shop, but I own an Arri. I constantly want to argue with myself!

I'll make the argument for you Nathan. Yes, I'd bet on the LTR being steadier. One of the many reasons I bought an Aaton.

Too bad Aaton LTR's are so much harder to come by than an SR1. One hardly sees the LTR listed for sale next the scores of SR1s that are for sale.

The cost is much better though.

Alain