shooting with flashlights

ssreeni00

• Premium Member

I just caught the end of "The Upside of Anger", and there is a flashlight scene right at the end. It's a daylight exterior scene, but the flashlight (maglight) shows up on faces and on the ground. So my assumption is that you would have plenty of light from the flashlight at magic hour. The question may be whether you'll have too much light. You'll have to test and find the right size flashlight.

• Premium Member
hello colleagues.,i want to shoot a seq. only with flashlights at magic hour..., i am convinced that maglite rechargable flash light might b very useful.,please advice....

What about a Dedolight? They are dimmable and could possibly resemble a flashlight from a distance.

I just caught the end of "The Upside of Anger", and there is a flashlight scene right at the end. It's a daylight exterior scene, but the flashlight (maglight) shows up on faces and on the ground.

I find that real hard to believe they were using a flashlight in the daytime. I'll check out the scene you mention because it doesn't make sense. Flashlights are not usually bright enough to be useful in the daytime!

Could they have used a fully spotted 200W HMI Dedolight or something?

What about a Dedolight? They are dimmable and could possibly resemble a flashlight from a distance.

hi brian..., the problem with a dedo light is one., i cant use it in the frame to show some one holding it......,dedo will b fine to light up i feel but if i want to show some one holding it n searching something or doing something thats when theres a problem.....,its an exterior railtrack seq. where i can not use lights because of production problems., thats y i was thinkikng of a flash light which is good enough to get enough exposure with my ambience as the magic hour light.......,what do u feel brian

I'd have to agree. The Surefires also have a far more even pattern than the Maglite "ring" pattern.

thanks mr.matt irwin..., i had gone thru the website of surefire.....,the problem is that in india v will not b able to get it..,, may i please know which of the model will b the right one.... i saw the maglight rechargable.,its good enough but then like u said i would like to knlw about surefire light too..., v r getting maglite in india n thats how i could check it up... pls suggest me a surefire light which is better than the maglite rechargable one... thank u

• Premium Member
I find that real hard to believe they were using a flashlight in the daytime. I'll check out the scene you mention because it doesn't make sense. Flashlights are not usually bright enough to be useful in the daytime!

Could they have used a fully spotted 200W HMI Dedolight or something?

No, it wasn't a dedo. It was a large maglight, and it was quite obvious that the light on the ground and on the actors face was from the flashlight.