Ramp With 16mm Camera?

barryagilbert

• Premium Member
Sorry if this is an old topic, couldn't find anything with a search -

does anyone know if there is a 16mm camera capable of variable ramps like an Arri 435?

tx!

Hi,

Check out an Arri SR3 Advanced. It won't be the cheapest camera in the rental fleet!

Stephen

even with the SR3 advanced you're stuck with the iris control unit for ramps, which means you'll pass through a bunch of not-safe speed/shutter combinations (and maybe end up on one) which would be a problem with HMIs, flouros, etc. The few times I've had ramps in 16mm, I thought is was just easier and less fiddley to shoot the whole shot at the final speed (40, 48, 60fps, whatever) and have the ramp done in post-

Actually pulled it off with a Beaulieu R 16 once on an experiemental film.Exposure change wasn't perfect,but close enough for what we were doing, and had we made a print, we could've made it look darn close,correcting exposure in the post.What we shot was a POV from the passenger side of a Cessna 172, that "had been modified" to fly at 1200 MPH.Started at 24 fps as the plane taxied and gradually slowed down to 2fps after takeoff and back to 24 fps after landing.Did this by adjusting the speed at the same time adjusting the ASA/fps dial on the meter and allowed the auto iris to do it's thing.Like I said,it wasn't perfect,by no means would work for anything of theatrical /broadcast quality, but we all got a good laugh.The landing looked like a carrier landing POV shot.You can surprise yourself sometimes with what you can do manually, which is basically how they would've done it back in the silent days.