What film to buy????

Bryan Mann

Hello ! I just got my first motion picture camera, its a kras 3, and I have no clue where or which film to buy. Should I try fujifilm, kodak? Obviously 16mm but there are so many options. Any recommendations on where to buy and what stock to buy would be awesome. thank you

• Premium Member

Sort of depends on the look you want and the light levels you will be shooting under.

Why not, for now, get a small roll of the slowest stock -- like Kodak EXR 50D / 7245 -- and a roll of a fast stock like Kodak Vision-2 500T / 7218 -- and go out and shoot some stuff outdoors in daylight with the '45 and some interiors and night stuff on the '18 and see what happens.

• Premium Member

Typically you buy the film straight from the manufacturer, but there are also recan and short-end suppliers that are cheaper.

How do you plan on viewing your footage? If you can get a hold of a 16mm projector you can have a print made. Projection is the best way to learn the nuances of film. Otherwise, you'll have to get a telecine transfer of your negative done. Most places charge a setup fee, so it might be cheaper per foot to process and transfer several roll sat once, rather than doing a single 100' roll at a time.

Typically you buy the film straight from the manufacturer, but there are also recan and short-end suppliers that are cheaper.

New or "new used" camera which you have not shot with before I might suggest at least one of your first rolls through it should be factory fresh raw stock, if any problems, you'll have eliminated one variable. (Hopefully there won't be !).

-Sam

I think that you might be best off shooting some reversal and just projecting your processed original. This way you will save on print costs or telecine, and you will get a good introduction to motion picture film. The options are Kodak kodachrome 40 or kodak Ektachrome 100D. There are also some other Ektachrome stocks, but these are shortly to be discontinued.

The Kodachrome is quite an old fashioned stock and the 100D is one Kodak's newest. I have never used 100D, but plan to shortly.

Matt