my first short documentary/film ever

Guest adam3345

Guest adam3345

Hi, my name is adam and im 17. i made a documentary for my NYU portfolio this summer and just wanted to post this to get some criticism. i filmed this on a sony handycam. bear with me here, the shots are shaky and the text is poorly done. i taught myself Final Cut Pro basically. i filmed the documentary with no script, no budget(actually cost me nothing other than the tapes and the program), no storyboard and no idea until after i shot it all. i think it came out ok from coming from nothing. tell me what you think..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3762372517274622967

I really liked it. I liked the hand held....so I wouldnt worry about that. One thing....sometimes the text could be up for a second more, especially the longer ones. Its nice to be able to fully read text and have another second to soak it in before it disapears.

I have made a few short docs and know how hard it can be when you take an organic approach, as you say have done in this case. I think you made a really great effort and a really nice short film.

Edited by jasarsenault

Guest LondonFilmMan

Adam: Good show. Interesting, and obviously with planning it would be even better. Yes, some shots were shaky...but good though. I liked the fact that you were in stealth mode in certain parts. Did anyone else help you? Some of the transitions in your edit were pointless. I didn't like the introduction, but the rest was fine. It was quite an interesting subject too, but it didn't move me emotionally.