Tools of the Grip

Franco Capella

After going over a few things regarding the tools of each Job On Set as I start working, I came to a question.

What does a Grip bring with them to the set in terms of tools aside from bringing themselves, and any normal equiptment (C-Stands, Flags, Silks, variety of clamps, etc...) brought by the Production?

I mean, it's pretty common knowledge what a Gaffer, or AC would bring on set, but what about a Grip?

It really isn't "common" knowledge for anyone to bring anything. I don't mean to be condescending, but the best AC's I know have homemade tools, or modified kitchen tools that work better for them.

As for grips, they don't bring anything that you mentioned, since that comes with a grip truck.

When I gaff I bring obviously gaff tape (2 inch black and white tape), and a roll of 1 inch coloured tape.

Rope

Ratchet Straps

c-47's

cine foil

Tin foil 9my favorite, easier to mold than black wrap)

leatherman (multi tool)

gloves

light meter

contrast eye piece

pen

flash light

notepad

gels

etc....

That's what I can think of off hand right now. Brining C-clamps pipe clamps, cardellini's and mafers all help, but you need to keep and eye on them.

Well there's no standard tool-kit for grips...

That said you should have the right tools for the job...

Besides the standard stands and hardware that come in a grip truck...

Some personals hand tools always help.

Gloves are usually necessary (unless you have strong un breakable hands)

A knife is also good, usually a utility knife or a Swiss Army or a Leatherman...

A wrench or a robo-grip helps alot, as do pliers and or (again) a Leatherman...

A set of Allen Keys (also known as hex keys) is good when building speed rail or other things...

A flashlight can help especially when working at night.

A screwdriver might be necessary, as can be a hammer sometimes

A 48" level is necessary when doing track-work for dollies and such...

Rachet straps can be useful when tying down rigs...

Pony clips or spring clamps are very helpful...

Measuring tape...

Etc...

There is much much more...it's just knowing what the right tool for the job is

And when it is necessary to use it.

Good Luck

Grips seem to have the biggest selection of heavier tools such as spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, electric drills,etc. in addition to flashlights, leathermans and what is on the truck.

They also always seem to have bottle openers (not just the one on a Swiss knife) and corkscrews.

Grips seem to have the biggest selection of heavier tools such as spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, electric drills,etc. in addition to flashlights, leathermans and what is on the truck.

They also always seem to have bottle openers (not just the one on a Swiss knife) and corkscrews.

If you've ever worked for an insane DP or Key grip, you know why they have bottle openers and cork screws.

This is the list of required equipment for IATSE 873 grips:

Leatherwork Gloves,

Multi Driver,

Hammer,

Tool Belt,

Lineman?s Pliers,

10-inch Crescent Wrench,

Safety Glasses

Hard Hat, Tape Measure,

Olfa Knife,

Rain Gear,

Safety Harness.

for gripping, I usually bring a cordless drill, a full set of woodscrews and fasteners, some rope & a few pulley's, plastic ties, black wrap, some short bits of sash (which can save the day), tape measure, and an empty travel sandbag with some snacks ;)

Frank, these posts all have good ideas for grips, and John Hall's post seems to me geared more toward rigging grips.

In my opinion, every grip should bring to the set a tool belt with the basic tools (tape measure, gloves, leatherman, multi screwdriver, crescent, sharpie, hex set, and a small driver with 3/16" hex head in it for fittings, knife) and a cordless screw gun. Most I've worked with also bring a hand truck with the other tools and safety equipment in a toolbox so they are available to them without weighting them down.

I was a key grip for some time, and I would probably take exception with the need for hammers to be carried on today's sets. Years ago we used to nail everything together; today it's mostly screws. I would much rather see someone show up with a full set of cordless tools (especially screw gun and saw),a crescent, a leatherman, and a hand truck than weighted down with a lot of tools. Just my opinion, but since we seem to be doing "more with less" these days, I would rather see a crew that has a few labor (and time) saving tools.

A combination of John and Rik's posts is probably the perfect basic grip kit, with the addition of a hand truck.

Edited by Mike Hall

• 3 months later...

Here's what I physically have on me.

Olfa knife

8 inch crescent wrench

flashlight NOMA brand (xenon bulb)

2 inch black paper tape

Speed wrench that has 13/16 on one end and 15/16 on the other

16 feet measuring tape

small hex tool (3/16-3/8)

Multi-tool

Everything else is in a bag I have

rain gear

safety harness

multi-screwdriver

safety glasses

hard hat

bull's eye level

IMO, if your a 3rd grip you don't need to bring drills, 48 inch levels etc. Your key, best and dolly grip would have all the big hardwear.