Help with hand held F 900

Frank Barrera

Ugh. The F 900 is so freakin heavy and then you add matt box and rods and down converter and two audio recievers and brick. We wieghed it and it's 36 pounds. I am shooting a seven week reality TV show that's 70 % hand held with lots of "MTV styled" zooms and dutched angles and all the rest. After two days I am ready to quit.

But I won't... The question is this: Does anyone know of a high tech gel pad that can be used on the shoulder to cushion the pressure this rig puts on the old shoulder? Something designed for handheld work.

I am currently using a thick gel cover for a bicycle seat. It works alright but has gotten permanetly smooshed down pretty thin. Not to mention it slides all over the place when I put the camera up. (And I don't even have a dedicated utility to help me with the camera 100% of the time.)

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

FB

Ugh. The F 900 is so freakin heavy and then you add matt box and rods and down converter and two audio recievers and brick. We wieghed it and it's 36 pounds. I am shooting a seven week reality TV show that's 70 % hand held with lots of "MTV styled" zooms and dutched angles and all the rest. After two days I am ready to quit.

But I won't... The question is this: Does anyone know of a high tech gel pad that can be used on the shoulder to cushion the pressure this rig puts on the old shoulder? Something designed for handheld work.

I am currently using a thick gel cover for a bicycle seat. It works alright but has gotten permanetly smooshed down pretty thin. Not to mention it slides all over the place when I put the camera up. (And I don't even have a dedicated utility to help me with the camera 100% of the time.)

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

FB

Hello Frank,

You will probably know this option:

you can use Arri´s Stativo for handheld in Hd Cams too,

that includes a shoulder pad and you will shoot easyly

there is a photo in the link bellow with an arricam Lt.

but you can use it too with F-900

• 2 months later...

I have to say, after dozens of productions and days that seemed never to end with the same basic rig, that I agree with the pads-don't-help school of thought. Most hand-held aids just infringe on the flexibility of movement and run counter to the reason that you are hand-holding in the first place. I agree with the deep massage, and regular chiropracter adjustments. Learning some Yoga helps a lot for rebalencing your body as well. Also, practice and strength training (legs, abs, back, shoulder muscles), just as with any athletic persuit, go a long way.

.Just a couple of small hints: wearing a skin tight 'Underarmor' undershirt under your shirt, ends abrasion of your shoulder and wicks away sweat. Reduce the camera's weight using a lithium ion battery like Dionics - that can remove 7 big pounds or so. Harass the sound department to use newer and lighter receivers, or put them in a pouch on your waist (a bit more trouble to remember to unplug, but you lose up to 5 pounds). Over the hours, a few pounds less can really help.

Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig. Easyrig.

If all fails don't leave it on your shoulder if you don't need to and have someone help you take it on and off. Even be a spotter.

Don't straighten you legs if at all possible....Your joints will kill later if you lock those Knees.