Crystal synch

Alex Ardenti

• 2 weeks later...
This company say that they can crystal most cameras as you can see by their list

http://users.aol.com/fmgp/sync8.htm

Regards

Don

Boston UK

I actually have my camera at IJM Inc right now.

Can't wait to get it back.

I'm gonna shoot the hell out of it.

Good to know about the Film Group also.

I'll check them out.

Thanks!

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

The Film Group will be able to do it for you - but have you got a barney/sound deadening device because the camera sound will be quite loud and may make your synched live audio unuseable.

Scot

Will definitely get a barney for the Bealieu.

I am also in the great position of having a family friend who is the owner of a recording studio and he told me it shouldn't be aproblem eliminating unwanted camera noises. But yes, definitely a barney.. or two.

What would happen if I just shot short takes at 24 p on the camera as is, without spending money on a new motor? Could it be that much off?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

I am also in the great position of having a family friend who is the owner of a recording studio and he told me it shouldn't be aproblem eliminating unwanted camera noises.

Give his some examples to work with first (you don't even have to have film loaded in the camera - just run it for the noise) - because frankly I don't thnk he's done it before - I think he'll find it's imposible to get a satisfactory result. In my experience you can definitely improve it but it will always be there - and the quality of the dialogue itself will suffer as a result of the filtering too. Post some examples though - I'm open minded - just bitterl!!

I don't know if you could get a 30 second clip in synch though - haven't tried it with my R16 - my gut reaction is no though.

You could try audio resolving sofware too - to adjsut the audio wav to the vagaries of the camera (by virtue of a synch pulse) - do a search at http://www.filmshooting.com./scripts/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 for more on this - two members there have written such software.

The advantage with syching your R16 though would be you could shoot music film clips where the singers are miming to a recording of their song and have their lip synching remain in synch (providing they did it in synch to begin with - if you know what I mean) - and the noise of the caemra wouldn't matter.

Why not ask on the sound forum here what they think abot removing the camera sound.

Scot

• 1 year later...
Has anyone ever succesfully put on a crystal synch motor on a Beaulieu R16?

If so where?

Thanks in advance

www.alexardenti.com

Hi

I can think about install of microprocessor crystal sync speed modules( What i use for upgrade of electronics of Kinor-16 and Konvas cameras ) on a Belaulieu R16 camera too.

I don't have full technical informaton about design of electronics and parts of camera, that's why, don't give you hard answer, but, if this camera have DC motor and have possiblity to set of encoder and other sensors, i can do this.

I can use a few versions of copntrollers with fixed speeds and speed synthesizer.

You can send request on my direct e-mail.

Bjorn Andersson (bjorn.andersson(at)brevet.nu) serviced and crystal modified my R-16. He also added 16:9 markings in the viewfinder. Naturally this wasn't too cheap, but I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Everything seems to work fine, I've shot some MOS stuff with it and the camera seems to get into synch within a second. Otherwise I adore the camera, it's finicky but really versatile.

I'm working on a hardcased blimp at the moment, with a plywood box lined with audio dampening material. I'm hoping to be able to dampen the racket down enough to be able to get some proper audio recordings during our shoot in august-september.

On another note, could someone inform me what a remote control cable/switch combination the R-16 uses? I've got a few different ones but I can't seem to get anything except the single frame option working. I've got one electric one but the mini plug doesn't seem to fit anywhere, will I need a bigger plug?

Best regards,

Mikael