Special Question about 35mm Still Photography Film

Hey All,

Sorry folks about this question cause its really about still photography film and not about motion picture film but let me explain what I want to do and why I need your advice.

I'm planning to shoot a short film which will be composed of still images. I was inspired by Chris Marker's La Jetee which was done in still images. It was such an amazing film and it really moved me and several days after watching it I decided that I wanted to experiment with the same technique as well.

My plan is to:

1. Shoot all the images with my 35mm SLR

2. Scan the negatives/positives using a high res film scanner

3. Edit digitally on computer

4. Output as DVD or MiniDV

Now my question relates to number 2 of my plan. I've been told by photographers that positive slide film has more vibrant colors and higher resolution than negative film therefore I would rather shoot with that. However, another photographer friend of mine told me that negative film is better when you want to scan the actual film.

Has anyone had any experience with this matter? Which is better for scanning? Positive or negative still film?

On a side note, I've also realized that I could probably do a transfer to 35mm motion picture film or something to that effect but I have limited funds. Well actually no funds. :huh:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

*I've changed my account to the one I used below to reply this post*

This is Aaron, same guy as Nekofilms. I took a good look around and realized *to my surprise* that everyone else is using their real names. (Good on you!) I'm so paranoid of using my real name in web forums from previous experiences :ph34r: however I think being honest here is more important.

Anyways, I'll stick to this account from now on.

• Premium Member

Generally, the lower contrast (density range) of a color negative film is more easily accomodated by most scanners. Color negative also has much more exposure latitude than projection contrast reversal originals. You can always adjust "look" in the post production you are planning.

One "negative" about negative is that any scratches, dirt, or marks from poor handling will show as white on the final image, so careful handing of the original is more important.

About the scanning...

Using the usuall CCD scanners, negative films give you a better scan because of the low contrast. Slide films won't perform as good on CCD scanners.

On the other hand if you are using drum-scanning, it will capture all the richness from your slides, whereas you will get some noise with negatives.

CCD's are better for negative films, and photo multiplyer tubes (drum scanners) are usually better for slide films.

And as for what film is better slide vs. negative.

the "war" between photographers on that matter is usually similar to

digital vs. film. But it all comes down to what you prefer. Slides will give you richer

colors and more saturation and that "wow" effect when you project them.

Negatives will give you softer and more natural colors, and i would say they are more "objective" in capturing light. And the grain in negs is usually going to be

more visible.

But as for resolution, i would't listen to those who say that slides have better resolution. It is just that some people mistake granularity for resolution.

(thinking that a visible grain "particle" is a the basic structural univ of the image, just like a pixel). Negatives have similar resolution (sometimes even better) like slide films.

I feel that the impression of true sharpness comes from seeing grain rendered sharply. If there is no grain to base this impression of then we are looking at acutance. That is why the Tgrain films look less sharp to me.

Increased contrast can give an impression of increased sharpness but this is just an illusion.