old American Cinematographer magazines

qpaglaro

I have about 150 American Cinematograhers magazines from 1960's-70's that I was thinking of selling if there is a intrest for them. I caught my good friend trying to empty boxes of these magazines into the recycle bin at the studio. I told him he couldn't just chuck away what I think is film history, so I told him I may be able to sell them for him. I haven't gone through them all yet as there is 4 boxes. I am just wondering if there is any intrest for these and if there is, I will sit down and figure out what is there exactly and how much.

Cheers

Q.Paglaro

I have about 150 American Cinematograhers magazines from 1960's-70's that I was thinking of selling if there is a intrest for them. I caught my good friend trying to empty boxes of these magazines into the recycle bin at the studio. I told him he couldn't just chuck away what I think is film history, so I told him I may be able to sell them for him. I haven't gone through them all yet as there is 4 boxes. I am just wondering if there is any intrest for these and if there is, I will sit down and figure out what is there exactly and how much.

Cheers

Q.Paglaro

There sure is a market for them! They sell regularly on Ebay for about 10-20 a pop depending on the issue. If you have the 1979 issue that covers ALIEN i would DIE to buy it from you! I can never find anyone selling it!

• Premium Member

I don't have the index I created for the 1970's decade of issues out here on location, but some great issues worth owning:

Efx for 2001 (1968)

Invention of the ColorFlex for "Young Winston"

Flashing for "The Long Goodbye"

On Location with "The Godfather"

AFI Seminar with Gordon Willis on "Godfather Part II"

"Day of the Locust"

"Star Wars"

Peter Macdonald remembers Unsworth, on "Superman" and other films

"Barry Lyndon"

"The Shining"

"Heaven's Gate"

"1941"

"Alien"

David which issue is it that discusses Unsworth's work on Superman: The Movie? I would pay anything for that issue so I can PM the original poster for it. It's the film that inspired me to want to be a cinematographer. Thanks.

I don't have the index I created for the 1970's decade of issues out here on location, but some great issues worth owning:

Efx for 2001 (1968)

Invention of the ColorFlex for "Young Winston"

Flashing for "The Long Goodbye"

On Location with "The Godfather"

AFI Seminar with Gordon Willis on "Godfather Part II"

"Day of the Locust"

"Star Wars"

Peter Macdonald remembers Unsworth, on "Superman" and other films

"Barry Lyndon"

"The Shining"

"Heaven's Gate"

"1941"

"Alien"

• Premium Member

Cheers

Q.Paglaro

I'd love to buy issues relating to Heaven's Gate, Barry Lyndon and The Shining. Put me on the list!

Cheers,

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member
David which issue is it that discusses Unsworth's work on Superman: The Movie? I would pay anything for that issue so I can PM the original poster for it. It's the film that inspired me to want to be a cinematographer. Thanks.

Like I said, I don't have the index I wrote for the 1970's issues with me here on location, so I can't tell you.

I see it for sale ALL THE TIME on ebay! Check there if you are interested.

I sure wish they'd put all those back issues online or offer a DVD or something. Carting those magazine around your whole life is ridiculous. I currently subscribe, but I'd gladly pay double the subscription price for full access to their archives.

• Premium Member
I sure wish they'd put all those back issues online or offer a DVD or something. Carting those magazine around your whole life is ridiculous. I currently subscribe, but I'd gladly pay double the subscription price for full access to their archives.

Sometimes getting rights clearances for old articles and images can be a problem, if the original publication agreement did not include republication on another media. I recall that National Geographic had issued all of its back issues as CD-ROM and DVDs, only to have to recall them when they could not get copyright clearance from some photographers:

http://www.photosource.com/news/nwfeb00a.html

Not sure if they ultimately worked out the clearance rights:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...2692885-4735828

http://www.wap.org/journal/compleatngs/nat...geographic.html

Well, they could at least start putting their current material online. It's a real shame that such a great resource is limited to just print. At the newspaper I work for we offer subscribers access to a PDF version of the paper. That way the advertisers can see their add in print and nobody has to go around clipping articles out anymore. For back issues I would expect AC would have a lot harder time getting clearances for the photos than the articles themselves. Photogs know their rights, God bless 'em.