Gels for windows and shooting with fluros

Hi. I'm shooting a music film clip on my 16mm ACL II Eclair soon and would like some advice please. We are shooting in a bar during the day and there are several windows in shot. I need to make it look like it was shot during the night, so can anyone suggest a gel that I can put on the windows to make it look like night outside? I would prefer if I could do it with one gel only to keep the cost down. I use LEE filters (gel) usually.

My other question relates to shooting domestic fluro tubes. The bar is lit almost entirely with pink fluro tubes, which look great, but I'm worried about a few things. Firstly, will they still turn out pink on Tungsten film? Secondly, will I have a flicker problem if I don't stick to certain frame rates? Most likely to shoot either 25fps or 50fps. Power is 50 hertz, so I'm thinking I should be OK.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

If you're shooting tungsten film, you could use Lee's 299 1.2ND filter with no color gel added. This way, you would get a blueish night look outside by just dropping the exterior exposure by 4 stops. I'm assuming that you will be shooting at about f4 on 7218. A polarizer might look good on the camera lens. This would reduce reflections and add a little more contrast/color.

• Premium Member
Thanks Chris, great suggestion. Yes, I will be using 500T at about F4.

Has anyone got some answers about shooting the fluros?

Have you got time for a quick test? - you can gel/change them if they're not to your liking...

Rupe W

My other question relates to shooting domestic fluro tubes. The bar is lit almost entirely with pink fluro tubes, which look great, but I'm worried about a few things. Firstly, will they still turn out pink on Tungsten film? Secondly, will I have a flicker problem if I don't stick to certain frame rates? Most likely to shoot either 25fps or 50fps. Power is 50 hertz, so I'm thinking I should be OK.

Thanks.

25fps filming in a 50hertz world should be fine. (Where are you exactly?). Just to be sure however, why not take a PAL video camera in there and give it a go! :) I bet you have a mini-dv camcorder there somewhere right? :)

If you shoot other speeds then er yeah, you might have a flicker problem. It depends what the other speeds are! ;)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

• Premium Member

25fps filming in a 50hertz world should be fine. (Where are you exactly?). Just to be sure however, why not take a PAL video camera in there and give it a go! :) I bet you have a mini-dv camcorder there somewhere right? :)

- or why not get a polaroid add a filter for tungsten and hey presto!

Rupe w

nb have a good shoot...

25fps filming in a 50hertz world should be fine. (Where are you exactly?). Just to be sure however, why not take a PAL video camera in there and give it a go! I bet you have a mini-dv camcorder there somewhere right?

- or why not get a polaroid add a filter for tungsten and hey presto!

Rupe w

nb have a good shoot...

Well I meant to test for flicker in the flo's. Pal video cameras are also 25fps.

I'm not sure how well a video camera would be good for testing colour, so your tip of a polaroid may be good too! I suppose if you have a good video camera it should have a tungsten setting, that might give you a vague idea, but a lot of the cheap ones have all that auto W.B. and stuff. So I think the polaroid is a better suggestion for that, it is really film too so should look closer to the real thing! :)

love

Freya