Ampex CVR 300P

Vedran Rupich

I've got an offer on the Sony BVW-300P, as I'am interested in another format besides dv, this might perhaps be an option. How's the quality on this cam? does the footage look good? broadcast standard?

easy to use?

any comments will be gratefully recieved

I've got an offer on the Sony BVW-300P, as I'am interested in another format besides dv, this might perhaps be an option. How's the quality on this cam? does the footage look good? broadcast standard?

easy to use?

any comments will be gratefully recieved

Yes, this is a broadcast standard camera. However, you're limited to 4 x 3 (unless you crop in post), but they can produce really nice pictures. It's Betacam SP and that is still used in the USA for shooting, although in Europe with almost everything being 16 x 9 it's less common. If you're planning to just use it on your own stuff that's fine, but it'll cause difficulties if you're hoping to use it professionally in Europe - a friend has one that has been unused for 5 years. It's an easy camera to use and was commonly used by news crews.

You'll need access to a Betacam SP player when you're capturing for post, because the camera doesn't playback for editing etc.

what do you mean "dificulties in professional use" ?

what kind of difficulties?

besides the frame size and the external sp player?

It's an extremely limited market, Betacam SP isn't used anymore for broadcast work in the UK (nor in the most of Europe I suspect) because of 16:9. It's still used in the USA because they still have 4 x 3 television.

Basically, the digital formats have replaced the analogue Betacam SP, so very few people are going to hire someone with a Betacam SP kit. It's OK if you want to use it on your own productions, but you're much more likely to be hired as a cameraman with a DSR 500 or DSR570 than a BVW 300.

A HDV camera would better buy as a professional camera.