Lighting Transition

• Premium Member

Greetings All,

I am going to be shooting a little spot in which we see a Rockwellian living room bathed in sunlight which transitions to a full blown thunderstorm. Wind machine blowing through the curtains, rain spatters on the windows, lightning flashes, you get the idea.

I'm shooting it with the SDX900 and am planning to use 1200 hmi's through the windows as well as a couple of tungsten fresnel 1k's, 650's and 300's. The room is about 15' X 15' with large bay windows.

This all has to transpire in one shot and so I'm thinking of using basically two lighting setups, one for the sunny bit and another for the muted thunderstorm look and fading between them using a lightboard.

Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations on what type of lightboard to use? I have no experience with the theatrical equipment.

Ideas and advice are welcome.

Cheers!

Chad

• Premium Member
Are you looking for an "in camera" transition between scenes without the help of a post editing/sound transition?

Tim

There will be sound transitions as well as a little tweaking in post, but I am looking to get it as close as possible in camera.

I didn't mention that there will be a dog on the couch to cower on cue. Lots of little elements to time....should be fun.

CP

• Premium Member

Most light control operators are familiar with the ETC Express 24/48 or 48/96. It should be available at most rental houses. I found that the learning curve is fairly quick on this board plus you could phone up pretty much anyone who does theatrical lighting or studio lighting and they'll know how to use it.